Sound Quality Vs. Measurements

Status
Not open for further replies.
diyAudio Member RIP
Joined 2005
Further off topic, so skip this if you like:

Standup comedian routine I heard:

"Wow man, my girlfriend. I mean, she is SO weird. Spooky weird. Really scares me sometimes. In fact, I began to think she was The Antichrist!

So one night, when she was passed out, dead drunk, I shaved her head. And there, right there clearly on her scalp, were the numbers. 6 ... 6 ... 7!!!

Boy, did I ever dodge a bullet! "

Organic culture, is that when they used to have 7 years of famine ... :)

Well said . If my very limited understanding is correct we could feed 2 billion at best organically , 1 billion realistically . Simple maths says what about the other 5 ? They are fed on oil . Oil is not the key factor , it is energy . To compress air into ammonia is the expedient way .

Organic like good hi fi measures well in the micro ( nutrients ) . As with good digital it is all about going the extra mile or two . My personal view is that organic often tastes better because of the care taken . Many organic practices are not to be recommended . Manure should be heat treated . Rusts and molds on crops are highly dangerous ( liver failure , Ergot ) . Semi organic sold as ordinary is highly profitable . Italy is good at that . Like the valves verses transistor debate it is not black and white . Food has it's JFET's .

I heard that scientists are predicting that the taste of hydroponically grown tomatoes will soon rival that of organic . This has been done by traditional hybridizing using generic engineering techniques whilst avoiding genetic engineering . Like when DACs started to work they seem very confident . 2 years from now is the prediction .

BTW .Again not an expert , saying what I heard . Italy is said to have only recently built up the fertility of the soil which became eroded in Roman times . It is offered as the real reason for the decline of Rome . The life style so attractive that it attracted too many people . That might be why they farm so well . Love of food with problems of soil to address . A bit like my amplifier competition .

Last edited:
I advise you all to see, or see again if you already have, the movie "Soylent green", with Charlton Heston, Edward G, Robinson, et al.

Humanity is breeding like rabbits, we have come to the point of doubling out world population in less than 20 years, and this planet cannot suport even what we have now. All the more so since population growth is MOSTjittery, in place we have population reduction (much of the Western world, France being a good example), and in the poor parts of the world, we have population explosions.

That will not end well. Heed the saying of Tomasso Marinetti, the Italian dadaist, in 1927:

War is the only hygene of mankind.

A dark summation, no doubt, but unfortunately, our general history supports it.

Nige, the problem with **** around with the genes, the key problem the likes of Monsanto avoid like the devil avoids the cross, is that the true and complete effects of genetic engineering will become obvious generations from now. Their profits can't wait that long.

Witness their battle with the EU Commission - it was proposed that they be allowed to sell genetically modified food freely in Europe, under the provisio that the food must be clearly and visibly declared as such.

Monsanto is against that, and it makes you wonder why, if they claim the food is perfectly safe and has no side effects?

I believe we're already neck deep in genetically modified food from such places as for example Turkey, which has little arable land, an 80 million population, yet from that little land they not only feed their population, but also strong exports??? No way Jose, not unless you are using genetically modified food.

I am 100 % with you . The subtle change is the marriage of the old ways and the new ways . I think I heard it is faster and better than GM ? The priest Mendle did the same . It is like he now had LT Spice to help him .

I think where GM will be used is to create artificial fuels . One tiny mistake and it is goodbye life as we know it . Bit like when I prode the wrong bit of circuit and oops .

Status
Not open for further replies.