Sound Quality Vs. Measurements

Status
Not open for further replies.
As I explained in some detail earlier, your question wasn't "repulsive," it was meaningless.

Prey tell, what's meaningless about it? Quoting a figure, or a range, is meaningless? Saying something like: "I think that under open loop conditions, at full power into 8 Ohms, with zero global feedback, you are fine if your 20-20,000 Hz THD figure is 0.5%, but watch out for the distribution and decay rates of those harmonics."?

Give me a break, SY.

Let me rephrase that - how would you ask the question to make it "meaningful"?

See post 6047.

I just did, and it still looks as pointless as it was on first reading.

You see, if I think you said something wrong, I won't just say that you're wrong, I'll try to explain why I think you are wrong.

You speak of wrong assumption - but you specify none. That makes your comment meaningless.

Just repeating that statement will not make it true, and will give it no further wait.

Why remains a mystery, but it's fairly obvious neither you nor Wavebourn are willing and/or able to provide a simple answer to a simple question. Nor are you willing/able to state exactly what are "the wrong assumptions" I have made.

Thankfully, I have other, more communicative people to ask. So forget it.

dvv said:
Since you were the only with the decency of giving a fair answer, let me tell you why I asked in the first place. After a lot of experimenting, I managed to get the 1 kHz THD, at 100W/8 Ohms and no global NFB, to 0.08%. On a 20-20,000 Hz level, this was 0.245%, and at 50 kHz, THD was 0.39%.
No, I still don't understand why you asked your question. You know it was oversimplistic, although perhaps Stuart could have been slightly less abrupt in saying so. Unfortunately I am too far away to bang your heads together and tell you to play nicely together.

If I want to run a mile in under six minutes what colour socks should I wear?

diyAudio Member RIP
Joined 2005
Apropos of online exchanges lately, there's a lot of rancor afoot. Last night in a chatroom I lost my temper in a way I do of order every five-ten years or so. I received messages outside the room of support, and the moderator kicked the individual who had provoked me --- but it was still "shocking" to me that I was so drawn in.

Odd times.

I think one of the weaknesses of the internet is that we can't see each other's faces, so we can't tell whether this is a good time or not to say something which might provoke a response. So we sometimes accidentally annoy each other, and sometimes we do it deliberately in a way we might not face to face. What is more surprising is, as bcarso says, we allow people to provoke us. That has happened to me several times.

I have now started using my ignore list, although only two people in it at present. I don't like doing this, because it suggests I lack self-control.

I think one of the weaknesses of the internet is that we can't see each other's faces, so we can't tell whether this is a good time or not to say something which might provoke a response. So we sometimes accidentally annoy each other, and sometimes we do it deliberately in a way we might not face to face.

I agree, but more than a weakness, it is an advantage.
The distance protects us!:D

We are a group of fans, and what differentiates us from other groups of fans, is our knowledge.
We know about Audio, others about Football, and so on.
If we had these discussions face to face, more than once, the police should intervene!

However, I have the fantasy that once we all sit around a table and with a glass of beer in hand, say "do you remember as we fought in the forum?";)

Status
Not open for further replies.