Sound Quality Vs. Measurements

Status
Not open for further replies.
In order:

Yes.

And ewwwww.

Let me work a little on the "ewwwwww".

I have fairly good collections of Peter, Paul and Mary, John Denver, The Kingston Trio, Pete Seeger (the Daddy of the all!), Dr Hook and the Medicine Show (Shel Silverstein behind them), Johnny Cash, Joan Baez and especially of Waylon Jennings.

Fact is, I'm on good terms with Nashville and especially its rebels (Jennings, Cash, Krisofferson, Nelson).

And Lou Reed.

There, that's my coup de grace for you. :D :D :D

Let me work a little on the "ewwwwww".

I have fairly good collections of Peter, Paul and Mary, John Denver, The Kingston Trio, Pete Seeger (the Daddy of the all!), Dr Hook and the Medicine Show (Shel Silverstein behind them), Johnny Cash, Joan Baez and especially of Waylon Jennings.

Actually, Willie Nelson is here, not Nashville. PPM and John Denver are to folk what the Monkees are to rock. Try on some Michael Hurley.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AQwjJSsjiPQ

Dvv, I like your record collection. Many of those recordings were probably done by Vanguard, who did very good recordings in my experience.
SY appears 'jaded' in his comments, as this happens with continued exposure and fashion.
I loved 'Peter, Paul and Mary, 50 years ago, attended Pete Seeger concerts, back then as well, and as well, 'loved' Joan Baez, of that era. I still have some of her recordings.
John Denver is loved in China, probably more than in the USA.
I think that these relatively 'simple' fundamental songs written and sung by many of the people you cited, have the most 'international' acceptance, because of this. Everybody loves them, unless they get 'overeducated' and perhaps 'snobby' about their music.

Dvv, I like your record collection. Many of those recordings were probably done by Vanguard, who did very good recordings in my experience.
SY appears 'jaded' in his comments, as this happens with continued exposure and fashion.
I loved 'Peter, Paul and Mary, 50 years ago, attended Pete Seeger concerts, back then as well, and as well, 'loved' Joan Baez, of that era. I still have some of her recordings.
John Denver is loved in China, probably more than in the USA.
I think that these relatively 'simple' fundamental songs written and sung by many of the people you cited, have the most 'international' acceptance, because of this. Everybody loves them, unless they get 'overeducated' and perhaps 'snobby' about their music.

Thank you, John, I thought you might. By now, it's fairly obvious you and I have rather similar tastes in general regarding music. I suspect it goes way over that, as well.

I was born in 1953, and was a kid of say 10 or 11 when the Beatles and the whole lot after them hit the scene. I went to bed with a portable radio. listening to local stations and Radio Luxembourg, which had the hits an hour after they came off the presses.

The key to is boringly simple. Music has a strong influence on my mood, always did. Play me Katrina and the Waves "Walkin' On Sunshine" and I get imagies of the summer, blue seas and agood time. NEVER fails, to this very day, I can't help myeslf, I just light up. Play me Barry McGuire's "Eve of Destruction" and I always start thinking about how fragile we are as a race, how we somehow always tetter on the edge of the blade. Play me Peter Sarsteadt's "Frozen Orange Juice" and again, I get images of summer, sunshine, blue sea.

In 1966, when I was 13, I nicked my dad's Uher Report L, a portable mono tape deck, and used it about 10 times more intesively than he did to tape the latest hits - from the radio, there was no way I could ever afford all those records. At 17, in 1970, I releived my dad of his Uher Royal de Luxe, a stereo open reel deck, and his Dual 1019. I was on my way. Soon after, AR5 speakers were in my room, then a ReVox A78 integrated amp, and so it goes until today.

But the fact is that I was weaned in music of the late 60ies and 70ies, and that's where my taste leans. I do have a very good collection of the period, on both LPs and CDs. I'm also into English, Welsh, Scottish and especially Irish folk type music, real folk or newly composed folk style.

Of everything I have, two CDs stand out as most influential on me. One is Enigma's first CD, "1990", which I consider to be a masterpiece. The other is "Best of Enya", another masterpiece, in my view, that woman and her music really lift me up to wuthering heights.

A bit of Gordon Lightfoot, then a layer of Georgia's Marshall Tucker Band, some Beach Boys and the West Coast sound, lots of Doors, some Stones, some Beatles and some locals, many of whom I know personally. That's a typical day at my home. With some Emerson, Lake and Palmer thrown in, a bit of Led Zeppelin, and Grateful Dead's song "Ripple".

1 will get you 10 you wouldn't mind a repertoire like that. :D

And I couldn't agree more with you on the "overeducated" and "snobby" comment. Music is there to make our lives richer and better, so who cares what type of music does it for you? If I don't like it, I'll just play some of my own.

Just to test, we got to post # 6000
Is there any reward or something?

Not to go too much off topic, I have a dog who likes electronics, just eat the TV remote control ! Seriously !
Not that it lacks food, but he's a black hole.
I do not know whether to call the vet or Stephen Hawking.:D

Status
Not open for further replies.