Sound Quality Vs. Measurements

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think that Tesla did some of the best work.

He did much of the groundbreaking work, yes.

On the side as well, as he generously allowed George Westinghouse to use his inventions without payment until he was financially stable again.

But, WHOSE was Tesla? By descent, he was Serbian, yet he did most of his work in the USA ...

Ditto for Mihajlo "Michael" Pupin - he greatly extended telephone comms by placing loading coils along the way and much more ( Mihajlo Idvorski Pupin - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia ). Also of Serbian descent, but again, did most of his work in USA.

How do we count them?

Photography, motion pictures, sound recording and the automobile were all invented in France. Not to mention the wine, cheese, bread and the women!

Er, ...

I'm not altogehter sure that the French actually invented wine, cheese, bread and especially women. They seem to have been around much longer than the tribe of Gauls. :D

But they do all four very well indeed, I agree. :p

One must be aware that they were deprived of all their patents as a bounty for WW1 victors ,
hence the hystorical downplaying of this country s unique contribution to modern science.

Indeed , they invented the Fet in the late 20s....

I am told that the legendary Quad ESL is in fact based on a German scientist's work, of one Helmholz (Helmholz's resonator), described first in 1859. There's a story floating around that Mr Peter Walker waited for almost a year before introducing his electrostatic speaker just to make it 100 years even since the first discovery of the principle.

Speaking of Germans, just take a look at the number of famous composers they gave us. Rather stunning for one nation only. Yet, their audio industry is either unknown or dismissed, a bit odd, don't you think?

Speaking of Germans, just take a look at the number of famous composers they gave us. Rather stunning for one nation only. Yet, their audio industry is either unknown or dismissed, a bit odd, don't you think?

An they had even more first rate scientists and mathematicians...

Gauss , Planck , Kronecker , Dirlichet , Hertz, Lorentz , Kirchoff ,
the list is endless.

In matter of engineering the were the most brillant pre WW1
nation , but as i said , they had all their patents looted in 1920 ,
among other s the aspirin one wich was Bayer s property.

Without this historical grand theft and the one that
would occur in 1945 , all other nation would have never
reached parity with them.

Do people know that it was thanks to their invention of
chemical fertilizers that europe escaped from starvation.?..

Well, quite a lot seems to be forgotten or looted ...

For example, few people realize that the Arab world contributed very significantly to astronomy (small wonder, since the Arabs have traditionally been traders and thus outstanding sea farers), mathematics, ... and poetry, courtesy of Omar Khayam.

Omar Khayam is my personal very pleasant surprise. In each and every Arab country I have been to, and I've been to several, and actually lived in Egypt 1971-1974, he is celebrated and cherished in ALL of them. Very ungeographically - unlike us Europeans, the Arabs don't care where he was from, he is loved as an ARAB poet, although I understand he was quite an astronomer as well.

Grand theft? I say they shoulda quit while they were ahead!:)

The same could have been said, and can be said today, for all of the powers of their time.

However, no matter how different the times and circumstances, the one thing that is absolutely common to them all is that they just didn't know when to quit. This made all their downfalls so much quicker.

I think it was Cornelius Ryan who commented in the early 50ies that Britain simply could not afford to win another war.

Any exclusivity in my statement was purely for the present discussion.

Ryan's famous book (and ***** movie) 'A Bridge Too Far' makes a similar statement. But it's rather good that Winston was in charge instead of Cornelius when the bombs were falling.

I'm all for thoughtful nationalism. I consider it simply an outgrowth of civic pride. Here in Texas it's even built into the culture. But some statements made here cause me some doubt. "Britain invented most everything" or "aspirin patents looted"? I need some figures for the former, and more thorough explanation for the latter... eg, Wikipedia states that "the American patent held by Bayer expired in 1917" which would be a full year before the armistice. I'm not even sure how common stake burnings were in Newton's time and place (though I can appreciate the sentiment expressed).

Interesting that Pupin's loading coils were based on Heaviside's maths, yet Pupin patented the idea. I assume that a scientific paper does not count as prior art in the US?

The story we hear in the UK is that Heaviside first offered his idea to the British Post Office but the chief engineer rejected it as being hopelessly counterintuitive and therefore certainly wrong. Heaviside went to America and got a more sympathetic hearing. Hence the US got decent long-distance phone lines before us.

OOps, sorry, just seen SY's comment with his police hat on.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.