Sound Quality Vs. Measurements

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi,

www.elna.co.jp

Just deal with Japan directly. You need to make decent levels of orders though.

If your business is too small thy should be able to send you to a decent (not rip-off priced) stocking distributor.

Ciao T

PS, I found that stuff made in Japan or for Japaese concerns, it is best to go direct. People like Elna JP, Alps JP etc. are quite helpful if you introduce yourself as SME Audio OEM...

I had their Japanese address, but frankly, I never dreamed they would be willing to talk to individuals. I am certainly not a volume buyer, at least by their standards.

And I suppose I was influenced by the Chinese, who very often don't even want to talk to you regarding simple samples, with them, it has to be 10,000 of whatever to even take notice. How they expect people to buy their products by the truckload without even being able to examine them, I honestly don't know.

It's a brave new world.

Anyway, thank you for the advice and pointer, Thorsten.

Hi,

I had their Japanese address, but frankly, I never dreamed they would be willing to talk to individuals. I am certainly not a volume buyer, at least by their standards.

Don't underplay your hand. Who knows, maybe your head-amp sells tens of thousands because you have used a decent design and a few magic parts...

Do introduce yourself as manufacturer, not as individual. Explain your branching out from AC filters into electronics (Pre/Headamp) and ask how to get a modest number of samples and volume pricing in hundreds and thousands (which are nice on Icecream)...

Ciao T

No one has mentioned the old Mallory "computer" grade caps. They were truely huge, I have 2 .1F @ 125V somewhere in storage.

Key word: old. That is a bit of a problem with electrolytic. We sure use a bunch of those puppies back when I was building power supplies in Colorado. Pretty dramatic when the rectifiers were wired wrong. I think they were PCB's back then.

Hi,

Don't underplay your hand. Who knows, maybe your head-amp sells tens of thousands because you have used a decent design and a few magic parts...

Yeah, sure ...

Do introduce yourself as manufacturer, not as individual. Explain your branching out from AC filters into electronics (Pre/Headamp) and ask how to get a modest number of samples and volume pricing in hundreds and thousands (which are nice on Icecream)...

Ciao T

OK, thank you, will do.

Key word: old. That is a bit of a problem with electrolytic. We sure use a bunch of those puppies back when I was building power supplies in Colorado. Pretty dramatic when the rectifiers were wired wrong. I think they were PCB's back then.

I thought only old metal can types used in ballasts and power grid applications, etc. contained PCB's (transformers too).

OK , we spoke about the reference HK amplifier , what about Sony, the Sony TA-N1 was Sony's reference amplifier , how good was it ...?

Sony TA-N1 on thevintageknob.org
TA-N1 Sonys Best Power Amplifier - YouTube
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5snxJKBAcpI

Gain : 28dB
4 Ohm output power : 2x 400W
8 Ohm output power : 2x 200W
Load impedance : 4...16 Ohm
THD : 0,005% (10W / 8 Ohm)
Damping factor : over 150
S/N ratio : over 115dB
Frequency response : 5Hz...300Khz (±0 / -1dB)
Input impedance : 20kOhm (unbalanced RCA)
40kOhm (balanced XLR)
Dimensions : 48 x 24,5 x 53cm
Weight : 70kg.

Not very load tolerant or is it ........ :cool:

Last edited:
OK , we spoke about the reference HK amplifier , what about Sony, the Sony TA-N1 was Sony's reference amplifier , how good was it ...?

Sony TA-N1 on thevintageknob.org
TA-N1 Sonys Best Power Amplifier - YouTube
SONY TA-N1 power amplifier best of - YouTube

Gain : 28dB
4 Ohm output power : 2x 400W
8 Ohm output power : 2x 200W
Load impedance : 4...16 Ohm
THD : 0,005% (10W / 8 Ohm)
Damping factor : over 150
S/N ratio : over 115dB
Frequency response : 5Hz...300Khz (±0 / -1dB)
Input impedance : 20kOhm (unbalanced RCA)
40kOhm (balanced XLR)
Dimensions : 48 x 24,5 x 53cm
Weight : 70kg.

Not very load tolerant or is it ........ :cool:

You know, I've stated often enough that I believe an amplifier should be load tolerant, but within reason.

For example, I have heard amps which are load tolerant, in that they deliver the required voltage across a load, but in the process, they somehow lose composition, they sonically "fall apart", so to speak. An example I can't foprget is Yamaha's old B-4 amp, the one I heard first was ageneral model (one transformer, two caps), and then, a few years later, I heard a different version of that amp, with two tranformers and four caps - an altogether different ball game. The second one kept its composition well into the higher power range even on the Apogees, and that's saying something.

My point is, load tolerance on its own really means very little. They have to maintain their load tolerance but ALSO AND AT THE SAME TIME their "voicing", their "composition". One becomes meaningful only if supported by the other.

I can't speak for you, but I would rather they keep their composition into lower loads at the expense of actually doubling their wattage.

Status
Not open for further replies.