Mailing to the Russian Federation: English or Cyrillic?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Explanation of this translation: in Russia Postal Service does not bring boxes to recipients. They traditionally drop into mailbox a notice, so he must go to postoffice, stay in line, and take the parcel.

That's the case in most of former East European countries. That postal office is a special one with a customs agents on duty. They will ask you open the package and eventually levy import taxes on the content. Or at least sales tax (19-24%), based on customs "book value" of the items.

I regularly send packages to Russia using the LATIN alphabet. Not just to major cities either. None has been lost as yet....

I occasionally send to Japan using Kanji for addressing. All my post office needs is "Japan" to be written somewhere in the addy.

Which is more efficient? It depend on whether the destination country has more than one portal for incoming mail. If they have, then it's best to use method 1.
On the other hand, method 2 reduces the chance of loss in the destination country.

I haven't received any complaints about packages not arriving, so I will assume at this point that they both made it to their destinations.

Also, I would like to formally admit to being the forums most ignorant member for using "English" in place of "Latin". I guess that's what everyone else went to highschool for. I'll never know. :eek:

I would write the whole of the address in Russian Cyrillic with an ISO 9:1995 transliteration into Latin letters alongside.

If your postal service requires you to fill out a form with the destination address, you might need to use Latin anyway, so that the computer system of your postal service can store and process it.

Don't rely on the last link, the postman delivering the letters, to be able to read our Latin script, and if posting to an appartment building make sure you get the appartment (Квартира), block (Корпус) and building (Дом) numbers correct.

On the subject of the French post office, I found that when I lived in Paris from 1995 to 2007 that parcels were never delivered. I would find a little yellow receipt in my letter box on the ground floor and have to go to collect the parcel. The explanation given was that postal deliveries are made when most people are out at work, the number of signed-for parcels that could be handed over to the recipient at his home would be extremely low.

Now that I'm back in France again after seven years abroad I live in a house in a small town, and everything is different. More parcels arrive by DHL or FedEx than before, and there is a Post Office van that comes round with anything bigger than a paperback book or parcels that need a signature. It really is a very good system.

Since I've posted this thread I've sent a dozen or more packages to places in the Russian Federation, all with English only address labels. Only one failed to reach its destination, but it was going to Tomsk which is nearly 2,500 miles from Eastern Europe borders. I don't think it had a chance of making it there regardless of what was on the label. :p

Last edited:
OK, add one more to the failure to be delivered category. At least this one came back... 6 months later. I was never contacted about it not showing up, so I assumed that it had. There was a sticker on the back with a box checked next to "non claimed".

Attachments

• package1.JPG
    package1.JPG
    230.6 KB · Views: 42
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.