got a marantz receiver damaged by fedex

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
i bought this nr1501 receiver on ebay and just got it delivered today.
fedex guy was pretty quick to bounce after he gave me the box.
what i didnt notice is the big hole on the side of the box.

i took some pictures of the box and the hole then made a video of unpacking it and all the damage i found in the video

the receiver has 2-3 big dents on the face.
the box barely had any peanuts in it and was just a cardboard box separating it from teh speakers that were just floating around.

so the guy claims that fedex packed it and that he used the receiver gently for only 3 months( the button is missing on the remote after gentle use)
he also claims that he insured it for 100 bucks.

i sent him an email just now asking to provide a video of fedex packing the receiver as he said he made a video.

in any case.

i dont really want to ship it back cuz its a waste of my time and money( why should i pay for someone elses fcukup)

but if its fedex fault how should i go about it?
i never dealt with this type of issue yet.
i mean it got hit pretty hard to make dents like that and it might knock a few solder points loose and eventually cause damage.

if the guy turns out to be full of S i think i should ask for a 50 dolla refund since the item is far from what was described.
is that fair?

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Last edited:
Joined 2008
Paid Member
and so it goes...

Sorry to hear of your bad luck...you have my sympathy. I have been through this situation far to many times and have come to the conclusion that it is impossible to purchase electronics via the internet without great risk of getting $crewed by people who have no clue how to pack and ship an item like this...or plain just don't care since they have your money in their pocket already. It has happened to me on everything from $100 items to $1200 items. At least a half dozen times now...and that's just electronics! Talk about banging my head against the wall...or maybe I was an optimist?

What really kills me is that I know how easy it is to ship these items with inexpensive materials you can find around your house...or for a few bucks at Home Depot. I used to pack and ship priceless artifacts that would travel around the globe for a living. It's not hard...it just takes a little time. But unfortunately a lot of people just don't want to take the time, or are too greedy or lazy to be bothered.

Even if you insist the item you are buying is insured for its replacement value, often sellers ignore your instructions and simply rely on the insurance policy of shipping companies like UPS to provide a standard $100 value...which is useless to you because guess what? They pay out insurance claims to the seller/shipper and not the buyer! So you're at the mercy of people that all too often take advantage of this system and ship out damaged items just to grab your cash and blame the damage on the shipper...what makes you think they'll hand over the insurance check once they have it???

FedEx isn't much better. They do allow for a declared value, but don't offer any real insurance and you are at the mercy of the shipper again. I can't remember for sure...but I believe they will reimburse the buyer, only if the seller submits a waiver to reimburse the buyer.

Using Paypal doesn't help either...they will NOT get involved in any disputes regarding the condition of items purchased through their channels...only situations where the item didn't show and similar.

Your only possible recourse is using your credit card for all online purchases and hoping that they will act on your behalf if you end up in this situation. But of course the seller blaming the shipping company complicates that now doesn't it?

My only solution has been to search for listings that I can make arrangements to do a face to face transaction for. It's sad...but I see no other choice. I have driven 2 to 3 hours to buy equipment in person to avoid this kind of grief in the past few years.

good luck

well i did use my credit card on all ebay purchases.
but even if credit card decides to step in and do something doesnt that mean that i have to ship it back to the seller?
meaning im gonna be out few more dollars and still have no receiver
3 weeks later few dollars shorter and end up with nothing.

he is trying to get me to send him the video of me unpackaging the item probably to claim the insurance.

what the hell is the insurance for if the buyer doesnt get reimbursed for broken product.

any advice from you guys?
because the seller is beeing kinda shady. he keeps asking me to return the item (meaning i pay the shipping and he goes and claims the insurance and i dont get sht)

i dont really know how how to handle this best way since fedex webpage says the shipper has to claim the insurance not buyer.
i tested the receiver and its working ok but the speakers are a bit worn out and i dont know if anything got damaged internally with the receiver.

there was pieces of ceramic resistors in one of the speakers that were broken off when i pulled the driver out of one of them so it must have hit pretty hard.

Yes the shiipper is the one who must deal the shipper FedEx/UPS, etc as they are the ones who retained their services, not you.
If they refuse to do that, you may be out if luck as I assume you signed for it.

A sad lesson learned.

Last edited:
any advice from you guys?
because the seller is beeing kinda shady. he keeps asking me to return the item (meaning i pay the shipping and he goes and claims the insurance and i dont get sht)

Dont assume things till you know for sure, your only going to get yourself mad.

You must have looked at a picture of the item before you bought it???

He want's it back, because most of the scamming is done by the customers.

Customer has all the power, open a dispute with paypal/eBay, ship it back and get over it.

The problem I have is most times the shipper just dumps the package at my door and leaves. (luckily nothing has been stolen yet) If I found any obvious damage to the outside or rattling inside, I will drive it back and reject "receiving it". IMO since you decided to open it, I think you should shoulder repacking it properly and shipping it back. Inform your credit card your dispute and the circumstances, then they will advise.

well i tested it all the functions work, im gonna try and see if he can send me a 50 dollar refund so i can get some materials to make it all nice looking again( speaker grilles, paint etc) i can do that. if hes gonna go for that than its cool with me ill consider it even.

i couldnt tell how bad was the packaging untill i popped it open.
because if the packaging was good then that hole would not matter thats what the box is for to protect the item. theres nothing rattling inside the receiver and it is playing music all the buttons work.
because i really dont want to pay for shipping back
the item looked good on the pictures nothing was damaged i know for sure its during the shippment

btw does anyone know where the security label is on marantz? the tamper proof seal i mean. i want to check everything out, make sure its not a fixer uper box.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.