I thought DIYAUDIO was "apolitical"

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Bought a new android phone. They put on a full court press to open a G-mail account on the pretext that this is one way to upload your contacts from your old phone and then back down to your new. Well they (who?) assoicated my contacts with my facebook friends and now my phone contacts have the pictures of my facebook friends next to their contact info in the phone. This includes their birthdates and town locations. I can see how someone would think that this is great, just not me. G-mail and Facebook are two examples of conduits of conectivity. If you dont want to be found stay away from both. I also admit that I asked for it.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Yeah, that one went right over my head!

Firechief, that's just damn scary.

Facebook freaks me out. I'm there, but do not share my contacts, nor do I tell it my birthday. Also don't play any of the "games" which are really just data miners.

I just turned on my computer and opened a diyAudio page. There is an ad for a transformer company across the top with a picture of a huge 3 phase power transformer. OK, close. On the side????? "IdateAsia.com" Since I have never visited any dating site, how am I being targeted?

Attachments

• ScreenGrab_A-2.jpg
    ScreenGrab_A-2.jpg
    166.8 KB · Views: 147
Just another Moderator
Joined 2003
Paid Member
Hmmm I just turned on the ads to see what I get. side panel so far has only shown audio company ads, but the top panel, has car loan ads, iinet (local ISP) , whitepaes, optus (telecom) and Australia Post ads. I have posted recently on the aussiefrogs forum (french car forum) that my car is 17 years old. I'll leave it on for a while and see what variety I get ;)

Tony.

I don't get the targeted Google ads. Maybe because I don't use any Google task bars or other gadgets. Also I have my browser set to "Accept cookies only from sites I visit." That helps a lot, no 3rd party tracking. Turning off site referring also helps, but can also lead to some stuff not working (like PayPal).

Browse smart fellows - and you won't see all that stuff.

I'm afraid it's not that easy to avoid Google's tracking.
If you are using any of their services (including their search engine which it's hard to avoid at the moment or GMail, Google Maps, Google Docs etc.), you're being tracked.

Criticism of Google - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Google Watch

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.