I thought DIYAUDIO was "apolitical"

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
FaceBook and twitter are now, admittedly, being scanned indexed,

I don't use either one.

Wait, Ya'll get personallized ads.. all i get are these stupid adchoices lists.

I got three ads at the top of my page, one for Bose.....most everyone here knows that Bose Blose so they got that one wrong. The second is for a Fort Lauderdale dealer trying to sell me an MRX receiver, whatever that is. The third is for guitar lessons in the Fort Lauderdale area.....I guess I turned it up loud enough for them to hear how bad I play! OK, sign me up.

The ads that show up on the right hand side want to sell me chip amps.

I use a web based email viewer. It is hosted by Yahoo. They also seem to be able to target ads, but they seem to think I am single and in need of a new woman (married for 30 years). I log in from work, and the ads say meet single women in Schaumburg. I log in from home and the ads say meet single women in Fort Lauderdale. I log in from West Virginia and the ads say meet single women in Wheeling. The pictures of the women are the same in each case. They must really get around!

i looked at some speakers on www.mcmonline.com.

thereafter for a few days mcm ads followed me on various websites ...

some things on youtube's 'recomended for you' were directly related to

things on sites i'd looked at in the few days previous.

``````````````````````````````````````````````````````````
"if you pronounce the word 'better' with a British accent,

90% of Americans will not understand you."

- Anna Chapman

i looked at some speakers on www.mcmonline.com.

thereafter for a few days mcm ads followed me on various websites ...

some things on youtube's 'recomended for you' were directly related to

things on sites i'd looked at in the few days previous.

I've just been looking at French websites (nothing to do with hifi) and I'm now getting Google Chrome ads on diyAudio in French.

"le navigateur rapide de Google"

Subtle they ain't.

This is how Google AdSense works, guys.
They track where you go on the web, and "tailor future ads to your interests".
It's been known for years that they use targeted ads and they never tried to hide it (in fact they advertise it to their potential customers and it is why they essentially control online advertising).

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
I don't get the targeted Google ads. Maybe because I don't use any Google task bars or other gadgets. Also I have my browser set to "Accept cookies only from sites I visit." That helps a lot, no 3rd party tracking. Turning off site referring also helps, but can also lead to some stuff not working (like PayPal).

Browse smart fellows - and you won't see all that stuff.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.