diyAudio... The polite forum.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hey all.
I havent been here that long but judging by the way you all respond to posts... I have to say that this is the most polite audio forum I've ever been on!

Keep it up!
cheers.gif

Oh really, publish your latest design and see what happens;)
Sorry to sound cynical, there are some good guys here, I think there is a woman or two floating around. Kinda explains why its ok for hifi stores to advertise in magazines using a girl a bikini.

Oh really, publish your latest design and see what happens;)
Sorry to sound cynical, there are some good guys here, I think there is a woman or two floating around. Kinda explains why its ok for hifi stores to advertise in magazines using a girl a bikini.

LOL! Well it just seems like as I'm reading threads, and posting my own, the responses have been nice :) I guess I'm missing the bad ones.

I think the forum is TOO polite, in that it allows extraordinarily bad English, written in awful text-speak, yet rebukes those members who point it out. Manners, courtesy and etiquette are those things that should be used but not at the expense of directness and honesty. In this respect, manners and courtesy are demonstrated by using proper English rather than the rudeness of lazy language.

I think there are too many forum members with extremely "thin skin" who seem to live to take as much offense as they can from very innocuous language.

AND, as Luke says, post a circuit and watch civility evaporate (but it will be polite discourtesy).

Frank

The forum is perhaps a bit more polite than it used to be, because the moderators are now clamping down on personal attacks more than they did. At least, that is my perception. I still find it 'robust' when compared to a British site such as the UK vintage wireless forum. Maybe a cultural result of US free speech vs UK libel laws?

Debates on here can quickly get heated when certain subjects come up (e.g. cables, audibility of low level distortion) or when people think they can settle a matter by quoting a 'guru' (including themselves!).

I think the forum is TOO polite, in that it allows extraordinarily bad English, written in awful text-speak, yet rebukes those members who point it out.

I honestly don't see how one's proficiency in English should dictate whether or not you're allowed to take part of or taking seriously in a technical discussion. As long as posts are intelligible, it should suffice.

Most of us who has English as a second or third language actually do try our best to make ourself comprehensible. Even obvious glaring grammar or spelling mistakes are not a result of laziness but most often due to lack of ability. It is after all not that easy to have studied using a technical vocabulary in one language, and then have to translate it every time you're posting on an English language forum.

Last edited:
The issue with English is not foreigners. Their English is often quite good, and we will try very hard to understand those with weaker English. No, the problem is native-English-speakers who can't be bothered to write clearly. The whole point of language conventions is to aid communication, so people who omit punctuation or sprinkle it randomly (for example) should not be surprised if we don't try so hard to understand them.

On the UK site I mentioned above there are a few posters who do things like:
omitting initial capital letters (or using them randomly)
leaving no space after a period
using , when they mean '
repeated misspelling, especially of homophones
- these are English speakers, not foreigners! It is hard work reading this, so I don't bother.

As a result, the mods on that site have now decided that the worst of such posts will be deleted. They make exceptions for non-native speakers, and people known to be dyslexic.

The forum is perhaps a bit more polite than it used to be, because the moderators are now clamping down on personal attacks more than they did. At least, that is my perception. I still find it 'robust' when compared to a British site such as the UK vintage wireless forum. Maybe a cultural result of US free speech vs UK libel laws?

Debates on here can quickly get heated when certain subjects come up (e.g. cables, audibility of low level distortion) or when people think they can settle a matter by quoting a 'guru' (including themselves!).

How about solder? Silver sounds better :D

Disabled Account
Joined 2004
Originally Posted by Francec
I think the forum is TOO polite, in that it allows extraordinarily bad English,

Give us a break. We may not write properly but our mistakes are generally funny. OTOH people writing very good English can bore me to death real quickly. I'm not too worried about language, it is the lack of ideas that annoys me the most.

As for the forum being polite, only the moderators are rude enough. :D

It is a sign of education to know how to lie properly, a sign of intelligence to be able to twist the facts. I'll take an honest, simple person with simple language over a charlatan any day.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.