Jerry Leiber, RIP

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Probably the greatest rock n roll lyricist of the 1950's through 1970's.

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/08/23/a...-lyricist-dies-at-78.html?_r=1&ref=obituaries

LEIBER1-obit-articleLarge.jpg

Probably the greatest rock n roll lyricist of the 1950's through 1970's.
That's one way to start an argument, especially since Bob Dylan and Lennon/McCartney fall in the same time frame.

Nevertheless, you have to stand in awe at the sheer volume of his work. What impressed me from reading the obit is the large number of performers who had popular hits with his material - often, several times. I'll be watching to see if the Underground Garage features him in the next few weeks.

Dale

That's one way to start an argument, especially since Bob Dylan and Lennon/McCartney fall in the same time frame.

Nevertheless, you have to stand in awe at the sheer volume of his work. What impressed me from reading the obit is the large number of performers who had popular hits with his material - often, several times. I'll be watching to see if the Underground Garage features him in the next few weeks.

Dale

lennon/mccartney were still in short pants when this guy began writing

lennon/mccartney were still in short pants when this guy began writing
I think Lennon & McCartney are over-rated, but a lot of folks in our age group would disagree. For that matter, a fair amount of the Lieber & Stoller material was already classified as "oldies" before I paid much attention to it but it's still great. And if you're more interested in the not-so-great, This Guy seems to be collecting it.

No question Leiber stands out as lyricist/producer in rock n roll's golden age. RIP
But I would probably put Felice & Boudleaux Bryant ahead of the above mentioned in terms of L&S "competition". When Felice passed away, I believe her obit stated they had 800+ songs hit the Billboard charts.

I think Lennon & McCartney are over-rated, but a lot of folks in our age group would disagree. For that matter, a fair amount of the Lieber & Stoller material was already classified as "oldies" before I paid much attention to it but it's still great. And if you're more interested in the not-so-great, This Guy seems to be collecting it.

You absolutely have to be kidding ....:rolleyes:

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.