Religious Wackiness

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
By the way, are Off Topic threads not shown shown in the thread list on the main page or is this an anomaly of having moved the thread?

The former. Back in the Bronze Age, before I became a mod, the setup was altered to do that with the idea that someone perusing this forum for the first time wouldn't get put off by things like the Peace thread. Or this one- unvarnished SY is a frightening and offensive thing.:devily:

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
PassFan said:
For some reason though the "In God We Trust" printed on our money

Along with the Illuminati "Eye in the Pyramid"... someone is having a BIG laugh

We have a freedom of religion in this country, or so it would seem we are supposed to, but when one religion forces another to take down their stuff then is that still a freedom? Muslim women wear their hajib's in public, do you think we could force them not to wear them? They are a religious symbol.

But in this case, it isn't a pivate expression, it is a government institution...

dave

Along with the Illuminati "Eye in the Pyramid"... someone is having a BIG laugh

:mafioso: hehe i know

strange.... good ol presidents such variety of backrounds.

odd thread :-D

as a christian ,i see this nonsense on tv,and cant really get it,from a 20second sound byte whats going on in there lol

>i live in NZ<

but yeh i think that judge shud realise a rock is a rock

regarding trials etc- one must hope you get a perfect judge
i dont trust in mankind ,just a little hope
'judge judy to the rescue!'

a country built on a Godly base,starts losing its foundation?
whether thats good or bad,depends on ur view :p

:devily:

One side-note, Dave- the "In God We Trust" phrase was added to our paper money rather recently, in the early 1960's, IIRC. That was at the same time that we went from Silver Certificates to Federal Reserve Notes as tender. I don't know if I can link those two events...

What the heck is Annuit Coeptis anyway?

Back in 1918 the Catholic Church got somewhat annoyed at a small group of people - The Watchtower Bible and Tract Society in Brooklyn New York - because they were among other things exposing the Catholic Church's political shenanigans and skullduggery. They got one of their cronies, Judge Martin T. Manton, a Knight of the Order of St. Gregory no less, to preside over the goings-on and subsequently nine officials of the WTB&TS were jailed for about 6 months I think. They were freed later when the case was overturned, but it's interesting how a judge would use his authority to exercise some prejudice.

Anyway, I looked up some references on the web on this Manton fellow:
"The problem posed by the judiciary in the United States, however, goes far beyond the judges' tendency to rewrite the Constitution and apply, or fail to apply, other laws according to their personal preferences. It is one of the virtues of this book that it calls our attention as well to the problems of corruption and incompetence on the bench. On the federal bench, corruption is a rare phenomenon, but it does occur. There is the legendary case of Judge Martin Manton who sat on the Court of Appeals for the Second Circuit, and who came very close to being nominated for the Supreme Court of the United States. When it became known that Manton took bribes from parties appearing before him, he claimed innocence on the interesting ground that he took bribes from both sides, decided the case on the merits, and then returned the money to the losing party. That defense caused Judge Learned Hand, perhaps the most distinguished court of appeals judge in our history, to call Manton a moral moron. There have been several cases of venal federal judges in recent years. One of them, removed from office by conviction on a bill of impeachment, promptly ran for Congress, and, the voters' concern for judicial integrity being what it is; won." :rolleyes:

Also:
"In the winter of 1932 a sensational suit involving the American
Tobacco Co, its head, George Washington Hill, and Lucky Strikes, was heard in New York before Supreme Court Justice W T Collins. It was testified that Albert D Lasker of Chicago, former president of Lord & Thomas, leading advertising agency, then representing American Tobacco, made a loan of $250,000 which found its way into the pocket of Judge Martin Manton, Chief of the US Circuit Court of Appeals. One month later Judge Manton ruled against a stockholder who was suing American Tobacco. In 1939 Judge Manton went to prison as a common criminal."

diyAudio Moderator Emeritus
Joined 2001
Well, the latest development is that now the governor of Mississippi is asking to borrow the Ten Commandments monument for a week so he can put it in the state capitol building. He is asking other governors to do the same.
http://www.cnn.com/2003/LAW/08/28/ten.commandments/index.html

I think the idea is that if the monument keeps going from state capitol to state capitol for a week or so, then it is like a museum exhibit and not subject to church-state rulings.

It looks very possible that Judge Moore's monument will be going on the road soon, spending time to do gigs at various state capitol buildings nationwide. A permanent road trip.

Those who have been saying that Roy Moore is turning this thing into a real circus were apparently far more correct than they ever knew. :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

I was taught that the Mayflower brought over people who were being persecuted for their beliefs by the dominant religion of the day. That is why there is supposed to a separation of church and state in the US. It prevents the smaller group from being stomped by the larger one.

Whether he is elected or appointed, that judge has automatically connected the government with a religion and thus thrown out any confidence that litigants will be getting a fair hearing. Intentionally or not, he has betrayed the original pioneers in their escape from persecution.

Best wishes to our US DIY'ers as the impartiality of government seems to be at an all time low. It is not lost on me that the US ambassador to the UN is not doing the current begging for help, but that Colin Powell is doing the job as government toady.

:)ensen.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.