Religious Wackiness

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Was watching some coverage today of the judge and the stone monument of the Ten Commandments he's had erected in the rotunda of the courthouse.

Workers today carrying out the order of the Supreme Court carted it off and located it someplace else in the courthouse.

While it was being moved, the judge was jumping up and down screaming like a spoiled child. One of the things he screamed at the workers carting off the monument was "Get your hands off our god!"

What? A stone monument of the Ten Commandments is a manifestation of his god? That's what he worships?

Apparently this clown hasn't bothered actually reading those Ten Commandments that are carved on that stone monument he's fighting so hard to keep ensconsed in the courthouse. Isn't there a Second Commandment that says "Thou shalt not make unto thee any graven image"?

Oh, while writing this I just heard Arnold Schwarzenegger say "I think gay marriage is something that should be between a man and a woman." :)

se

Mr. Schwarzeneggers English is - slightly - better than mine, although my accent is better, you bet :)
Here in Austria we are - excited and ashamed - watching his progress, and personally I think he is still an actor preparing for a new role. He is no idiot, but who is actually writing the script? Politics as entertainment.

Klaus

I always wondered how that judge would feel if he were on trial, walked into the courtroom to find his judge dressed as a Mullah, with a huge crescent/star, a prayer rug, and a plaque with "Allah'u'akhbar" engraved on it. Would he think that he'd be in for a fair trial in front of an impartial jurist?

Arnold passes my phone-book test, i.e., my contention that any name randomly selected out of the phone book would likely do a better job than our current governer. He did have a really good quote about why he left Europe- "Eighteen year olds are already talking about their pensions."

lohk said:
Mr. Schwarzeneggers English is - slightly - better than mine, although my accent is better, you bet :)
Here in Austria we are - excited and ashamed - watching his progress, and personally I think he is still an actor preparing for a new role. He is no idiot, but who is actually writing the script? Politics as entertainment.

Klaus
But as an actor I Arnold is way better than Ronald Regan....

I'm very interested in the election. I'll hope that Arnold wins. Maybe he can prove everybody wrong?

diyAudio Moderator Emeritus
Joined 2001
SY said:
I always wondered how that judge would feel if he were on trial, walked into the courtroom to find his judge dressed as a Mullah, with a huge crescent/star, a prayer rug, and a plaque with "Allah'u'akhbar" engraved on it. Would he think that he'd be in for a fair trial in front of an impartial jurist?

He wouldn't like it. When queried by a reporter if he would support putting the Koran in an American court house, he came out against it.

In a related note, the latest poll shows that 4 out of 5 Americans are against the removal of the monument.

Actually, I think the issue for most Americans might be less Ten Commandments-as-foundation than "Freedom of Speech". That is, the idea is that the judge is just asserting his Freedom of Speech by putting the monument there. To many Americans, I think, this has been painted as being similar to walking into a courthouse, proclaiming "Honor thy father and thy mother", and being jumped by six security guards for it.

Freedom of Speech-which is merely freedom from government prosecution for speaking your mind, even if it means criticizing the government-is incredibly misunderstood by most Americans, and I think that this is just another example

Well, hey, if they make me a judge, I'll exercise my freedom of speech rights by hanging nudie pictures all over the courtroom.

It's interesting that the news outlets have accepted the spin and looked at it as a church/state issue, when it seems to me to be more of a fair-trial issue. When I testify in court, I always ask to take a secular oath, and that's gotten me some definite dark glares from judges. I would certainly expect to be treated roughly in Moore's courtroom because of my own religious beliefs (or, in my case, non-beliefs).

Moore is at least honest enough to advertise his prejudices.

Joined 2001
PS: Anyway, it looks like the whole recall thing was yet another Flavor-Of-The-Month news story. Polls are showing distinct movement against the recall. A couple of weeks ago it looked like the recall was certain to succeed, now almost 50% are against it. Of the recall candidates, The Terminator has fallen behind the the lieutenant governor by 13 points.

I think Arnold was hurt by his proclaiming his candidacy on a national late-night show, and admitting he had crossed up his own political advisors. Once the fun and novelty had a chance to settle, Californians are having second thoughts about electing somebody who already is crossing up people.

Joined 2001
SY said:

It's interesting that the news outlets have accepted the spin and looked at it as a church/state issue, when it seems to me to be more of a fair-trial issue. When I testify in court, I always ask to take a secular oath, and that's gotten me some definite dark glares from judges. I would certainly expect to be treated roughly in Moore's courtroom because of my own religious beliefs (or, in my case, non-beliefs).

I hate to say this, SY, but if the story emerged with your spin, the polls would show 99 out of 100 Americans would be against the removal. The rights of atheists or agnostics is not an effective rallying cry in American public life. You might make some headway with the approach of wanting to worshop God your own way-which is the reason the Pilgrims came to America.

SY said:

Moore is at least honest enough to advertise his prejudices.

Or so arrogant that he thinks he doesn't even have to pay lip service to constitutional guarantees against establishment of religion.

I often wonder why people put so much stock in people who are out to get you being honest about it. Would things really be better if every ethnic or sexual slur that someone might think of saying is allowed in official settings?

SY said:

Arnold passes my phone-book test, i.e., my contention that any name randomly selected out of the phone book would likely do a better job than our current governer. He did have a really good quote about why he left Europe- "Eighteen year olds are already talking about their pensions."

If I were to be unfortunate enough to go before a judge in an Islamic country I would expect to see just that. For some reason though the "In God We Trust" printed on our money doesn't seem to offend very many people. Images of God do not appear on the Lady of justice that represent our justice system and images or not you can't erase the beliefs of the judge. Would you rather know them or have him hide them from your view?
We have a freedom of religion in this country, or so it would seem we are supposed to, but when one religion forces another to take down their stuff then is that still a freedom? Muslim women wear their hajib's in public, do you think we could force them not to wear them? They are a religious symbol. If we all would mind our own business and stop worrying about things that don't affect us the news wire would be a little quieter.

;)

Just remember, Jesus saves, but Moses invests in zero-coupon bonds.

If I were to be unfortunate enough to go before a judge in an Islamic country I would expect to see just that.

So would I. And I'd be expected to be treated poorly, being a descendant of the "pigs and monkeys" talked about in the Qu'ran. That's one of the things that I feel is superior about Western secular culture. Moore disagrees; he believes that it's OK because his invisible guy is better than the Mullah's invisible guy.

I hate to say this, SY, but if the story emerged with your spin, the polls would show 99 out of 100 Americans would be against the removal.

Too true. But the majority of American would also toss out the Bill or Rights if you put it to a vote. Democracy has its limits ;)

Steve Eddy said:
Apparently this clown hasn't bothered actually reading those Ten Commandments that are carved on that stone monument he's fighting so hard to keep ensconsed in the courthouse.
In a related and widely distributed document it says (from memory) "He has given his law to Jacob, his judicial decision to Israel. He has done that way to no other nation". These Ten Commandments were part of a law that was given to one single country only not to all and sundry. Does he intend to enforce observance of the sabbath day? Hmmmm...

Joined 2001
SY said:
When I'm appointed judge, I will have Genesis 9:21 engraved on my courtroom wall.

And then have a plaque with Genesis 19:31-36; after all, Alabama IS in the Deep South.

I believe Moore was elected. I think the other judges are appointed, but the Chief Judge is elected.

That might be part of the situation. Moore has certainly been acting the part of politician here. According to some news reports, even some people who agree with him generally have begun to back off because of the way he went about this from the beginning.

According to the accounts I read, everyone was against him putting it up in the first place. He and two friends moved it up to it's place overnight, when nobody could see. Combine that with Moore's statements that the monument simply cannot be moved logistically-when he and two others moved it up themselves without any heavy equipment-and he looks less and less like a messenger of God and more and more like a guy building himself up as a poster boy in preparation for a political future.

Moving something under the cover of darkness. Who would do such a thing? I know-the Baltimore Colts. You remember that, SY? :)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.