How to protect domain names?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I see, Douglas Self had to registered domain name with an extra sign in it, because somebody already registered domain name with his name. Yesterday I got an e-mail and replied that I did not authorize anybody to register domains with my company name. Do you think I am safe now, or anyway some crooks can still register such domains?

Dear CEO,

We are the department of registration service in China, we have something need to confirm with you. We formally received an application on August 15, 2011, one company which called "Corist Trading Co., Ltd" is applying to register "wavebourn" as brand name and domain names as below :

wavebourn.asia
wavebourn.cn
wavebourn.com.cn
wavebourn.com.hk
wavebourn.com.tw
wavebourn.hk
wavebourn.org.cn
wavebourn.tw

After our initial checking, we found the brand name and these domain names and brand name being applied are as same as your company's, so we need to get the confirmation from your company. If the aforesaid company is your business partner or your subsidiary company, please don't reply us, we will approve the application automatically. If you have no relationship with this company, please contact us within 5 workdays. If out of the deadline, we will approve the application submitted by "Corist Trading Co., Ltd" unconditionally.

Best Regards,

Alex Zhou
Senior consultant

As long as you got the main ones covered, .com, .net, .org; who cares. You can't possibly cover every .??? that pops up. With most of the other country extensions, you have to be a country resident to register. More and more extensions are being released. Unless you are a big corporation with deep pockets and staff to manage them. :(

Sounds like the email is fishing for sucker money.

Last edited:
Sounds like the email is fishing for sucker money.

Exactly.

His domain is registered by live.cn affiliated with Microsoft; his website is hosted by ctinets.com, his e-mail handles hkbn.com.hk, and his application to check availability of domains crashes. http://www.asiaround-nic.org/domain...it3=&checkbox=com&checkbox=com.cn&checkbox=cn

Here is one more e-mail, look what had been changed: in the previous one he stated that if I don't respond he registers it for some company; in the next message he offers me to register them for myself. :D

Dear Anatoliy Lisovskiy,

Thanks for your confirmation. If your company does not have any relationship with this company, according to our work experience, either they just invest these domain names. Just like a company named Beijing national network company registered google.cn & google.com.cn in 2005, and then they made lots of return from these two domain names. (Google Company failed to make a arbitration and paid 1 million USD dollars to redeem the two domain names.) Or they are just your trade, and confuse your clients to make profit. Because it seems that these domain names have no relationship with them, that’s why we send e-mail to inform you. As a domain name registration service organization, we have no right to reject any individual or entity register available domain names through us, because domain name registration is open worldwide, the policy is “ first register, first own”. I think you also know this. But it’s our duty and responsibility to avoid the registration in bad faith, so we inform you this issue in advance before the registration starts.

Now, what you need to consider is that whether these domain names are important to your company? If important to you and your company want to protect your brand in the future, we will apply the priority to register for your company; meanwhile, we will send you the dispute application form and procedure .we can help you register these domains, Due to time is limited, if you have any other question, pls contact with us in time. Thanks for four cooperation.

Best Regards,

Alex Zhou

Senior consultant

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.