Annoying explorer window in Win2K

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Joined 2003
Paid Member
After installing SP4 on Win2K an explorer windows pops up
at the end of the boot process.
The machine boots, works herself trough the run process in
HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run and then displays a window with the \Winnt\System32 folder.
There is no entry in the registry that should invoke that as far as I know.

Anyone experienced this behaviour, or are there other start-up processes in Win2K which I'm not aware of.

/Hugo – is definitely virus free :)

diyAudio Senior Member
Joined 2002
Hi,

Strange indeed...
The Siemens machines I administrate have all taken the update to SP4 without as much as a single glitch.

HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run

There's also another hive key that can be used to run apps and services at start-up;

HKEY_CU\Run

Did you check for any odd entries there?

Cheers,;)

Ex-Moderator
Joined 2002
Netlist said:
After installing SP4 on Win2K an explorer windows pops up
at the end of the boot process.
The machine boots, works herself trough the run process in
HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run and then displays a window with the \Winnt\System32 folder.
There is no entry in the registry that should invoke that as far as I know.

Anyone experienced this behaviour, or are there other start-up processes in Win2K which I'm not aware of.

/Hugo – is definitely virus free :)
Hi Hugo,

I'm not very good at the software stuff. This happens on my boot-ups as well. I don't really have a clue what the cause may be. I just don't want you to start thinking you're the only one that has experienced this.

The other thing that happens is my LAN settings (cable internet) defaults to "Use Automatic Configuration Script" and sets it to http//proxy:8080. I usually go in and turn it off manually, but it works whether its on or off.

I had assumed that it was a leftover from my old cable (Netscape Navigator) software or remnants of MS IE6.0. I've used 5.0 ever since this thread:
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=7140&highlight=6.0+internet+explorer

Joined 2003
Paid Member
fdegrove said:
HKEY_CU\Run

Did you check for any odd entries there?

Yes, nothing else than Internat.exe which is the Keyboard Language indicator.

The other thing that happens is my LAN settings (cable internet) defaults to "Use Automatic Configuration Script" and sets it to http//proxy:8080. I usually go in and turn it off manually, but it works whether its on or off.

So Rodd, you have the same problem; the winnt/system32 folder opening at startup?
Must be one of the many bugs in W2K then.
I don't understand exactly what you mean with your 'LAN' problem.
Is it just that you turn off your proxy manually and it comes back automatically?
Or do you just want to say that your internet works with and without proxy? This is normal.
You don’t need a proxy server to make things work.

/Hugo - thanks to all, still debugging... ;)

diyAudio Senior Member
Joined 2002
Hi,

Rod,

http//proxy:8080

The address above doesn't point to anywhere though.

A local proxy is always running on the user PC.
Whether an external proxy makes internet surfing any faster usually depends on how fast that proxy is and your surfing habits.

Hugo,

Have you looked for info about your problem on MSs Technet site?

Maybe it's just one of those "hidden features" us users call a bug?:rolleyes:

Have you tried booting up in "Safe Mode"?

Cheers,;)

Ex-Moderator
Joined 2002
Netlist said:
I don't understand exactly what you mean with your 'LAN' problem.
Is it just that you turn off your proxy manually and it comes back automatically?
Or do you just want to say that your internet works with and without proxy? This is normal.
You don’t need a proxy server to make things work.

/Hugo - thanks to all, still debugging... ;)
This is a LAN setting that always defaults to turn on "Use Automatic Configuration Script" and sets it to http//proxy:8080 on the first start of IE after a fresh boot-up. If I don't turn it off, I have noticed a few intances where I had trouble trying to reach some internet address, nothing specific, and too few to be a real problem. Usually I just turn the LAN setting off.

Joined 2003
Paid Member
fdegrove said:
Have you looked for info about your problem on MSs Technet site?

Yes, I browsed that one all day..:dead:
In Safe-mode, the problem is gone.
The process is exactly what you get when typing
"explorer %systemroot%\system32" or
"explorer /n, %systemroot%\system32" or
"explorer c:\winnt\system32" or similar commands.
So I have been looking in the registry for those and similar commands...nothing!
Next step will be the removing of the run entries in the registry.

Rodd, are you on a network machine?

/Hugo – Persistent to solve this problem. ;)

Joined 2003
Paid Member
Just to let you know my problem is fixed:
The troublemaker was Realtray from RealPlayer.
I deleted the Realtray entry in the run section, rebooted and all was fine.
Although there is no way I can see a link between Realtray and Explorer. :cannotbe:

On to Rodd's problem. It's Sunday, work in the garden is done, that explorer problem solved....oops, wife's just asking to take her out for a nice dinner...8 o'clock...still half an hour to search.

/Hugo :)

Ex-Moderator
Joined 2002
Netlist said:
Just to let you know my problem is fixed:
The troublemaker was Realtray from RealPlayer.
I deleted the Realtray entry in the run section, rebooted and all was fine.
Although there is no way I can see a link between Realtray and Explorer. :cannotbe:
/Hugo :)

Netlist said:
Found something for you, Rodd:
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=315054
/Hugo
Hugo,

Thanks for the info. I have a question. Where did you delete the Realtray entry?

diyAudio Senior Member
Joined 2002
Hi,

Rodd,

From the desktop, go to start, run, type regedit and push the Enter key.

That will open the registry editor.

Got to the top and look for the following; HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE.

Select this folder and drill down to the subfolder;

SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Current Version\Windows\Run

There you'll find all that is started up automatically.

Delete the Realtray entry.

Close regedit and the problem should be history.

Cheers,;)

diyAudio Senior Member
Joined 2002
Hi Rodd,

I do have some @Home remnants that I need to clean up as indicated by Hugo's link.

The link Hugo provided holds all the instructions you'd need...still if you need further help, just ring the bell.:)

While I'm at it...once you have everything working as should, please DO install IE 6.0, it's really much better than 5.0.

After that run Windows Update to get all the security patches and updates ( get used to it, it's Mickeysoft after all) and enjoy having countless browser windows open.

Cheers,;)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.