Panasonic AJ-HD50P (P...?)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I got asked this recently by someone who knows me as someone who might actually know the answer to the question.

Panasonic HDTV Broadcast part number designation:

Does anyone know off the top of their head, for the Panasonic AJ-HD50P vs. the AJ-HD150… What does the P designation indicate?

Im gonna take a wild shot and suggest it stands for “package” and that machines bearing this designation have the full Monty of options tossed in (Format converter, VANC, and SDI, SDTI).

A few URL and a new threory:

Hi Dave

This first link is from the Panasonic USA web site:
http://www.panasonic.com/PBDS/subcat/Products/vtrs_vcrs/f_aj-hd150.html

This second link is from the Panasonic CA WEB site:
http://www.panasonic.ca/english/Broadcast/broadcast/hd/aj_hd150p.asp

Interesting observations that Ive come up with:
· The Canadian site only lists the HD-150p
· The US site only lists the HD-150
· Both sites refer to the same user manual and same sales brochure. In both the Hd-150p is mentioned in parenthesis without explanation.
· The machine my friend asked me about was supplied and installed by a systems integrator… I suppose it is possible that the machine was originally destined for Canada and not the US. In my experience the only real differences between the equipment US and Canada bound are the tolerances in the switching power apply values. For reasons that baffle me, the US seems to like equipment that will ONLY work on 120/60, the rest of the world seems wiling to work with input values 90-250/50-60.

That’s my latest thoughts. With casual examination of the documents I haven’t been able to locate any feature differences. I don’t think anyone’s career will be made or broken over this issue. My friend just told me about it over dinner and it got me kind of curious. (hence I haven’t bothered to call the manufacture, thought someone here might have already or enjoy jumping off the same bridge)

Thanks,
-Dave

Attachments

• aj_hd150p.jpg
    aj_hd150p.jpg
    5.5 KB · Views: 61
D5 and the HD-150(p) really are wildly different animals:

D5 1/2 tape transfers at 270 Mbps CCIR 601 only

HD-150(p) uses 1/4" tape transferring at 100mb/s various formats starting including: 480i, 480p, 720i, 720p, and 1080i at a handful of different frame rates.

The best applications for when to use which machine and format vary exponentially from the number of formats supported.

Yah, I noticed that the Canadian machines all seem to carry the (p) suffix, but I also noticed that most of the options cards carry the suffix regardless of which country they get sent to.

The big thinnest thing for me is that there doesn’t seem to be any difference in the supported video formats and functionality.

Thanks for looking into it.

-Dave

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.