Value of original '69 Woodstock program?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Are you familiar with popsike? You can search this website for auction results of valuable records.

According to popsike, a program was sold for $30 in 2009:

popsike.com - woodstock program - searchresults - rare vinyl records auction results
That is the Woodstock "movie" program.
I'm refering the the Woodstock concert program which are very rare.
http://www.celticguitarmusic.com/Programcontents.htm

Most were never distributed and the bulk of them were plowed under at the site after the concert.
Mine came from Allen Markoff who was the local audio pro/high end audio dealer who designed the Woodstock sound system.
(He also sold me my first high end sys.)

The last I heard was about 10 years ago and they were going for well over $300.

Some lesser known facts about the concert.....

Cancelled Acts [FONT=verdana,arial]
  1. Jeff Beck Group (The band broke up in July, forcing cancellation)
  2. Iron Butterfly (Stuck at the airport, their manager demanded helicopters and special arrangements just for them. Were wired back and told, as impolitely as Western Union would allow, "to get lost", but in other 'words'.)
  3. Joni Mitchell (Joni's agent put her on "The Dick Cavett Show" instead)
  4. Lighthouse (Feared that it would be a "bad scene".)
  5. Ethan Brown (Arrested for LSD three days before the event.)
[/FONT][FONT=arial,helvetica]Declined Invitations[/FONT][FONT=verdana,arial]
  1. The Beatles (John Lennon said he couldn't get them together)
  2. Led Zeppelin (Got a higher paying gig at the Asbury Park Convention Hall in New Jersey that weekend)
  3. Bob Dylan (Turned it down because of his disgust of the hippies hanging around his house)
  4. The Byrds (Turned it down because of a melee during their performance at the first Atlanta International Pop Festival, held at the Atlanta International Raceway on July 4 and July 5, 1969)
  5. Tommy James & the Shondells (Turned it down because of being misinformed about the size and scope of the event)
  6. Jethro Tull (Turned it down because they thought it wouldn't be a big deal.)
  7. The Moody Blues were included in the original posters as performers, but backed out after taking a gig in Paris on the same weekend.
  8. Spirit (they had other shows planned and did not want to back out of their commitments; not knowing how big that Woodstock would ultimately become)
  9. Mind Garage (Declined because they thought it wouldn't be a big deal and had a higher paying gig elsewhere)
[/FONT]

Last edited:
Reprinted programs were made available in 1989, with the purchase of the MFSL-four LP Woodstock Sountrack
Reprints are worth about $45

On the original, the "f" in the word "of" sits directly in a sunflower bud. The first and last pages are a thin, opaque onion skin like parchment. Almost every glossy image with a black background has little white dot imperfections. On the Grateful Dead 2 page, spread has the same clarity on both pages and the reprints are washed out looking.
Originals are worth about $130

And Allen Markoff may have been the local audio pro/high end audio dealer, but it was Bill Hanley who designed, built and operated the sound system at Woodstock '69. He's know as "The Father of Festival Sound"
Bill Hanley - The Father of Festival Sound

Well since I had it since 1969 I do belive it's safe to say it's an original. ;)
Also, I'm very familure on how to disinguish copys from originals.

As far as Alen Markoff, there does seem to be a contoversy about who actually designed the sound sys.
Even the founding promotors of Woodstock have credited Markoff for designing it through the years and there are many sites on the net that do also.
It might be that both men had a hand in it.
Bill Hanely did operate it as Markoff had a buisnees to run and nobody thought it would turn ot to be all it was.

Anyway Makoff was the first guy the promoters contacted for the chore.
Markoff was more than an audio dealer. He was the only local resident listed in the Audio Engineering Society Magazine... "Who's who" of audio engineres

Also in '69, he marketed "Hutz-Markoff Theater Vsion" which problaby was about the first self contained prejection TV marketed in the US..... one that did not need a sperate screen
He was a business man who loved high end audio.
My wife actully worked for him brifely as a secretary during that period and this is how I obtained the program.

Worth $130? It's probably the economy. A few years ago, they were going for over $600. :)

Last edited:
A C&P of relevant events from local historians:

"The residents of Wallkill had heard of hippies, drugs and rock concerts, and after the Woodstock advertising hit The New York Times, The Times Herald-Record and the radio stations, local residents knew that a three-day rock show, maybe the biggest ever, was coming. Besides, Woodstock Venture's employees sure looked like hippies. In the minds of many people, long hair and shabby clothes were associated with left-wing politics and drug use. The new ideas about re-ordering society were threatening to many people. In Wallkill, those feelings were unleashed upon Mills and his family. Residents would stop Mills at church to complain. Ventures tried to head off some of the complaints by hiring Wes Pomeroy, a former top assistant at the Justice Department, to head the security detail. A minister, the Rev. Donald Ganoung, was put on the payroll to head up local relations.

Allan Markoff watched the two freaks walk into his store in late April or early May. They were Lang and his buddy, Stan Goldstein. Goldstein, 35, had been one of the organizers of the 1968 Miami Pop Festival. For Woodstock, he was coordinator of campgrounds. "They wanted me to design a sound system for 50,000 or so people," said Markoff, who owned the only stereo store in Middletown, the Audio Center on North Street. "They said there could even be 100,000, might even go to 150,000."

He thought Lang and Goldstein were nuts. "There had never been a concert with 50,000; that was unbelievable," Markoff said. "Now, 100,000, that was impossible. It's tantamount to doing a sound system for 30 million people today." Markoff, then 24, was the only local resident listed in the Audio Engineering Society Magazine. Lang and Goldstein had picked his name out of the magazine; suddenly, Markoff was responsible for gathering sound gear for the greatest show on earth. He remembers one characteristic of the sound system. At the amplifier's lowest setting, the Woodstock speakers would cause pain for anyone standing within 10 feet.

Markoff had doubts about the sanity of the venture until he saw the promoters' office in a barn on the Mills' land. "That's when I saw all these people on these phones, with a switchboard," Markoff said. "When I saw that, I said, 'Hey, this could really happen."

BTW, Wallkill, NY (a suburb of Middletown, NY in Orange county) was the original planned site for the concert but the deal fell through and they went to Sullivan county and contacted Max Yasguer.

Last edited:
After more reaserch, it seems that Markoff chose and shipped the basic components (amps speakers etc) to Bethel and Hanely was the one who actually physically assembed all the components and decided their placement.

So, who actually designed it? It would seem that both guys played a key part in its design. After all, a great sound sys starts with great components.

BTW this goes to show how details can be lost in history.:)

Last edited:
Yes, details do get lost over time and I want to thank you for pointing all of this out to me.
I do have a website which details the efforts that pursued the historic preservation of the original Woodstock Site - exactly for that reason. The website also includes a Gallery with a whole lot of this's and that's, and my intention now is to go back and include Mr. Markoff.
Thank you for this information and for your time.
Joanne

BTW, I did not even meet Markoff until 1972 and at this point I did not even realize he had anything to do with Woodstock other than knowing some people and my wife and I had split up. He is not one to bloiw his own horn

Anyway, I got a pair of JBL L100 speakers and a Sansui receiver from him which was pretty high end back them for a home/apt sys.

BTW what site do you own.?
I was sorry to hear of the passing a of Wayne Sayward few years ago as I personally knew him.

Last edited:
heinz1 said:
Are you familiar with popsike? You can search this website for auction results of valuable records.

According to popsike, a program was sold for $30 in 2009:

popsike.com - woodstock program - searchresults - rare vinyl records auction results
Thank you for that page...... I recently discovered they made a record set for woodstock 69 and I would LOVE getting it!!!

I have it on VHS (2 tapes) and let me tell you,IT WASNT EASY TO FIND!! -- Alot of the original woodstock VHS tapes have been re-issued and are DIGITALLY PROCESSED.... Totally sickening they would do that to such a beautiful music event!! (Digital stuff IS NOT PURE and doesnt sound as good.... ITS ARTIFICAL GARBAGE)

I finally was able to find a copy of woodstock 69 on VHS with the ORIGINAL SOUNDTRACK (Not digitally altered) and its insanely good....... I WOULD SAY THE BEST COLLECTION OF MUSIC I HAVE EVER HEARD!!!

Woodstock 94 was good also but NOT LIKE THE ORIGINAL!!!! (I love EVERY SONG at the original)

Last edited:
how-about-1.jpg

As an interesting and happy side note.........

The couple embracing on the cover of the album are by sheer chance, a local couple from Pine Bush, NY........ not too far from the concert site.
They eventually got married and as far as I know, still are and live there to this day . :)

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.