Who Wants To Be A Millionaire? (a thought experiment)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Assume that the world population is randomly sampled and you as well as 9,999 others have been chosen to compete for $1,000,000. In order to compete for the money, you must jump from an airplane at a height exceeding 50 feet. The winner will be the individual who jumped from the lowest altitude. You do not have to deploy your parachute, but you must survive the landing (the money will not go to your family). You will jump alone and you will not be aware of your peer's altitude until everyone has completed. In addition, you must commit to a particular altitude 30 days in advance. On the day of your jump, you must either jump at that height or forfeit the opportunity. From what height would YOU jump?

Thadman

If I read it right, and it's not a trick question, I have to assume hard ground and that I wouldn't survive a no-chute 50 foot drop. The question then becomes what's the minimum height where the chute will deploy successfully, and I've no idea what that height might be. It's probably not worth it, since some bozo(s) in the 10,000 people will jump from exactly 50 feet and manage to survive.

lol, just get a dollars's worth of zim dollars, the quickest path to being a millionare in something.

Zimbabwe does not issue its own currency anymore. But luckily with QE3 behind the corner there will soon be dollar millionaires everywhere. Provided they don't keep their money in dollars of course.

As for the plane question i guess all flights will be fully booked for the first ten years and jumping height will quickly move into the thousands of feet. People believe firmly in their luck.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.