An old Volvo 745 at 300 km/h, 190 mph

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
My old Peugeot 405 I was never able to fight above 200 km / hr. Budapest, Frankfurt is once managed to get home in 8 hours. It is 1,100 km. Not so bad, with three short stops. The red Porsches were faster than me so.
This is not consumed too much, so it was under the seven liters of fuel consumption.
I loved that car.

I used to have a 164.... indestructible car and no need to lock it cause nobody was interested in stealing it !
The diaphragms can get stiff/hard with ageing and this can cause mixture issues....eventually they can form a split causing vacuum leakage and mixture error.
From memory I used to get around 22mpg driven gently.

Q - Whats the difference between a Volvo and a cactus ?.
A - With a cactus the pricks are on the outside !.

Eric.

Joined 2005
Paid Member
Best car I ever had - 1989 Volvo 760 - sold it with 275,000 miles. Never a problem. Bought at 135,000 miles. Beautiful too.

Worst car I ever had - 2001 Volvo XC70 - piece of crap with 135,000 miles. Breaks down sitting in the driveway. Even my 2002 Land Rover is more reliable (oh the irony)

Best car I ever had - 1989 Volvo 760 - sold it with 275,000 miles. Never a problem. Bought at 135,000 miles. Beautiful too.

Worst car I ever had - 2001 Volvo XC70 - piece of crap with 135,000 miles. Breaks down sitting in the driveway. Even my 2002 Land Rover is more reliable (oh the irony)

LOL. I still have a soft spot for 244's. Had a 1977 244 (4 spd manual) for a number of years. Had a bosch electromechanical fuel injection system. Odometer quite before 100k miles. But the rest of the car was nearly indestructible. And believe me, I tried, driving it around during my university years :D (parents still have an '89 245 that just won't stop)

the 240 is boring looking as a cardboard box, but a great car all around. The 164 was definitely a better looking car as is the wonderful little 1800.
My father long ago had a 1954. That was a cool looking car too... since it looked like a '47 Ford :rolleyes: :)

I have owned 20 to 30 cars in my life. Most were cheap disposable junk that I would just drive till it died and get another.

I inherited a 1999 V70 wagon (like an 850) from my father when he passed. It was the most comfortable car I have ever driven on long trips. With the pedal on the floor it would do about 110 MPH. (non turbo 2.4 L 5cyl engine). At 70 MPH it would get 28 MPG. The stereo rocked too.

Volvo may make good cars for northern climates, but their plastics and adhesives do not last in the Florida heat. Mine was a black car and all of the plastic had cracked and every glued piece fell off. I know that the newer ones were even worse than the 1999 that I had. Quality supposedly improved under Ford ownership, but only time will tell under Chinese ownership.

I sold the Volvo after I got tired of taping and gluing the interior back together.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.