Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

The Lounge A place to talk about almost anything but politics and religion.

Best sounding SS rectifiers?
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 14th August 2011, 02:50 AM   #21
barrows is offline barrows
diyAudio Member

Default Diodes...

I have been using ON MSRF ultra soft recovery diodes lately. The specs show these to be about as quiet as they come for a given rating, and I like the resulting sound, so have not felt a need to try anything else.
I think one should consider that diode switching noise definitely broadcasts into the enclosure, and as such could be picked up elsewhere in the circuit, despite, perhaps, being filtered by the reg(s). Best to keep diode switching noise to a minimum when possible.
Anyone else try these diodes?
Old 14th August 2011, 03:38 AM   #22
sandyK is offline sandyK  Australia
diyAudio Member

Default Diode switching noise ... snubbers etc.

Damping of ringing in audio transformers
Old 14th August 2011, 03:51 AM   #23
erin is offline erin  Australia
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by benb View Post
And yes, a "no-charge-storage" Shottky or other high-speed rectifier can solve the problem, but I like the idea of using capacitor or RC snubbing across every 1N400x rectifier diode as opposed to using a single "high-end" diode that costs more than the other components combined.
I have been talking about my experience with the 11DQ06. At 0.15 cents each, I hardly think it is hard to obtain, exotic, expensive, or "high end".
Lets get that misconception out of the way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by benb View Post
I think this is only half of science (or engineering, or whatever people are trying to do to make things better) - detecting a difference when changing components is one thing (indeed very important by itself), but determining WHY there's a difference is another and contributes much more to overall knowledge.
Seems like there are many people on this thread who don't want to know why, and would rather spend time arguing the point rather than trying it.
Old 14th August 2011, 08:56 AM   #24
Boscoe is offline Boscoe  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Not being funny but it's not even like it's in the signal line, next we'll see 'how does your iec connector sound'?
Old 14th August 2011, 09:19 AM   #25
analog_sa is offline analog_sa  Europe
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boscoe View Post
Not being funny but it's not even like it's in the signal line, next we'll see 'how does your iec connector sound'?

What is a "signal line"?

Have you read in a book that rectifiers make no difference to sound or have you actually experimented?

In such discussions it's always useful to establish what one can actually hear on their system. Do you hear capacitors, resistors, chokes, termination? Can you hear difference between amps at all? MP3/WAV? Phono cartridges? Tonearm alignment? Absolute phase?

If you hear most of the above but not rectifiers your opinion will be useful. Otherwise...
Old 14th August 2011, 09:45 AM   #26
Boscoe is offline Boscoe  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by analog_sa View Post
What is a "signal line"?

Have you read in a book that rectifiers make no difference to sound or have you actually experimented?

In such discussions it's always useful to establish what one can actually hear on their system. Do you hear capacitors, resistors, chokes, termination? Can you hear difference between amps at all? MP3/WAV? Phono cartridges? Tonearm alignment? Absolute phase?

If you hear most of the above but not rectifiers your opinion will be useful. Otherwise...
It's has no place with the signal purely power. I don't need to read books to tell me that they wouldn't make a difference, what is there to make a difference? They don't emit noise, DC is DC after all.
Old 14th August 2011, 10:51 AM   #27
erin is offline erin  Australia
diyAudio Member

Quote:

Old 14th August 2011, 04:07 PM   #28
VictoriaGuy is offline VictoriaGuy  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:

How did you prove to yourself that you could really hear all the differences you claim? Did you just use your 'auditory memory' aka 'golden ears' or did you do a proper test to ensure you were not deluding yourself?

After you post details of your testing procedure, your opinion will be useful. Otherwise........
Old 14th August 2011, 05:05 PM   #29
barrows is offline barrows
diyAudio Member

Default Boscoe:

if rectifiers were "perfect" I believe you would be correct. But nothing is perfect, and rectifiers do emit noise, and there is more than "perfect" DC on the output of a rectifier bridge.
Additionally, the power supply is directly in the signal path as far as I am concerned; the output signal is just a power supply modulated by the input signal.
Also, consider the fact that rectifiers also broadcast noise internally in the components case-there is the distinct possibility that this broadcast noise will be picked up through antenna effects in the output signal.
Old 14th August 2011, 05:28 PM   #30
VictoriaGuy is offline VictoriaGuy  Canada
diyAudio Member

I have used FRED and other non-standard rectifier diodes when the circuit designer specified them.
I've not tested whether they 'made a difference', but if it is a difference of a few cents (or even a couple of dollars), there is little to lose...and I'm assuming that the designer has a good reason for the spec. I doubt that I could hear a difference, but as I say, I haven't tested that hypothesis. I have tested coupling caps, and could not hear a difference, so I use the ones that look the best in my amps - USSR PIOs with lots of Cold War aura!
If George Anderson (Tubelab) calls for a specific component, I try to listen. Other than that, it's off-the-shelf 1N4007 or bridge rectifier modules for me.

Best sounding SS rectifiers?Hide this!Advertise here!