Liz Taylor RIP

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
diyAudio Moderator Emeritus
Joined 2001
I don't think people in their twenties and even older can quite comprehend what a huge star she was.

A bunch of TV shows bombard us with Brad and Angelina for years, and we think that's a big couple.

I was a kid when she met Richard Burton on the set of a movie set in South America. She was still married to singing star Eddie Fisher at the time, and remember, this was a time when divorce was illegal in many states.

The New York Daily News-the largest newspaper in the city-put the progress of the affair on the front page every day. My grade school teacher had to tell us not to bring in any newspaper clippings about "Liz and Dick" for current events discussion, even if it was front page news day after day, week after week. While the affair was hot, that was just about all the adults talked about when they got together-they dominated the era.

We have stars today, but we all know that they are largely pumped up through a media celebrity industry. Stars like Elizabeth Taylor didn't need pumping up to let people know who she was-believe me, everyone knew.

She was a dominant star of a magnitude that is hard to imagine today.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.