Where did the music go?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have Loreena McKennit's an Ancient Muse and Parallel Dreams. Not what I would call todays main stream music.

"Wailin' Jennys" okay got me there, are they on the radio? Probaly not right?

Thats my point, the youth are now fed crap through crap chanels such as itunes.

I remember passing cassette recordings around (of real music) and everybody new that these recordings were not the same quality you would get from the LP.

Yet today a low bit rate mp3 seems to be the standard.

decent music

Robmedia, we know your pain. I personally got fed up with the state of current radio offerings back in '72, and started listening to the blues. Have SiriusXM now, and that's mostly what I play.

However, my recent move from Wyoming to Utah brought one unexpected music gift. There's a commercial-free music station here that features currently touring bands and artists...I'm sure I've heard the Wailin' Jennys there. You can listen online at http://www.krcl.org/listen-live/. The station does have a diverse format -- bluegrass on Sunday afternoons, world music on Sat nites, news 6-8pm on weeknights -- but most of the time it's good music that isn't "Top 40" junk.

Last edited:
You can listen online at KRCL | Listen Live – Powered by XMission. The station does have a diverse format -- bluegrass on Sunday afternoons, world music on Sat nites, news 6-8pm on weeknights -- but most of the time it's good music that isn't "Top 40" junk.

I remember that station from my SLC days, I had every button in my car radio set to it. Nowadays, besides word of mouth (it helps to hang out with musicians half my age) and discovery (seeing someone I've never heard of at one of the thousands of music clubs here), I depend on KVRX ("None of the hits, all of the time!") and KOOP, both of whom stream online. KOOP wins my award for "Most Frequently and Profoundly Stoned Hosts." KVRX hosts a lot of musicians playing live in the studio and unintentionally has great sound from time to time.

In general, independent college stations are a terrific source for us old farts to hear stuff that's new, interesting, and not overly-slick recycled pop.

Being that my two sons who are both college age, and a daughter who is a member of the band Big Fresh up in Lexington Ky, I am fortunate to be exposed to a lot of good music. I give them credit---it's by far not all junk. They have exposed me to events like the Athens (Georgia) PopFest. We went last year to hear Big Fresh play at the Caledonia, which used to be the 40-Watt Club where REM honed their chops. But also, at the PopFest were 30 or so other bands that were extremely interesting to catch...........the kids are alright!

Best regards,
Terry

So most of us old guy's agree the has music died (as far as the top ten go I agree). Wailin' Jennys got them nice! I love female vocals. Another I just found Molly Johnson. Wow to my ears I am drinking a martina at the Copacabana in 1967, love it.

Shite I am just listing to Lady Sings The Blues compalation, production not that good but, a dozen angles or so singing makes up for that.

bunch a whiney old men...

Sure, MTV et al are putting out commercial pap - when was it ever otherwise?

There is screeds of great new (avant guarde) and reinvented (any genre) stuff to be had out there. Get looking...

Personally, I'm having a bath in alt country at the moment - lovin' it!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.