Where did the music go?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Things have certainly changed since the late 60's when I started buying music.

Music was a huge entertainment business then with many multi million song sales.

These days with there being many other options to fill time music isnt as big a part of life.

In the 1970;s I remember there being many songs I liked in teh charts at the same time, these days I just cant seem to get into the music as well. It is just a noise and all sounds similar.

In the 1970;s I remember there being many songs I liked in teh charts at the same time, these days I just cant seem to get into the music as well. It is just a noise and all sounds similar.

My parents said the exact same thing to me in 1977 when I was 15... I looked at them in a quizical and unbeleiving manner and returned to listening to 'Floyd, Billy Joel (yeah, well, we all make mistakes...) early punk, Steely Dan, Brian Eno, Jimi H, allsorts

"aardvarkash10 bunch a whiney old men" There is screeds of great new (avant guarde) and reinvented (any genre) stuff to be had out there. Get looking...
Personally, I'm having a bath in alt country at the moment - lovin' it!

Yeah where is that, legal that is?

What, I gotta lead you by the nose?

When did you last get down to a decent music store and ask for recommendations of music by genre? Spend even half an hour listening and buying a couple of CDs?

I subscribe to our local library's music collection - it is updated at least monthly and I can pick from a wide range of influences at very little cost. If I like something I can follow it up, or not. Low risk, high return.

My brother has eclectic tastes in music - one week he introduced me to Iron and Wine, followed by a copy of a local punk-roc k reissue (Toy Love, for any of you interested in the genre)

My advice? Get out of the house.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
The musical poets of old

Ah, whatever happened to the good songs?

Gliddy gloop gloopy
Nibby nobby nooby
La la la lo lo
Sabba sibby sabba
Nooby abba dabba
Le le lo lo
dooby ooby walla
dooby abba dabba
Early morning singing song
Good Morning Starshine

Yes, I was actaully listening to that while reading this thread.
They sure don't write 'em like those used to.

Oh wait, "White Rabbit" is up now, gotta go (ask Alice)

Whiny young guy (20) here - pretty sure I'll fit in, I loathe the same things you do :smash:

That said, I still buy new music from time to time, so I'll fire off my most recent purchases in the hope that somebody gains some enlightenment:

1) Arcade Fire - The Suburbs: Anyone who claims that nobody writes good music anymore isn't looking - The Suburbs is a bit challenging, a bit artistically indulgent, but it's as good as Neon Bible was, if not quite up to the standard of the first album, Funeral.

2) The Break - Church of the Open Sky: Surf rock born from the ashes of legendary Oz Rock band Midnight Oil. It's all instrumental, so I guess anyone can project what they like onto it, but to me it sounds like home, the sand and suburbs of east coast Australia. In one of my more excitable moments, I wrote some more about it - Clarity of Mind: Church of the Open Sky

3) Crowded House - Intriguer: To be fair to this record, it's best not to consider it as Crowded House - it sounds like a Neil Finn solo record, and the fanbase seems to agree.

Judged on its own merits, instead of wondering why it doesn't sound much like late 80's pop-rock, this is a masterful album. Only trouble is that they left the best song on the record off the record - the B-side "Eyes Grow Heavy".

OK, to be honest 2010 was a pretty poor year for new music, I don't think I bought any other new "proper" albums - although it is worth mentioning one more:

4) The Baseballs - Strike! Back: This is a very, very silly album, but if you hate modern music, it's brilliant just for its sheer absurdity.

Strike! is a collection of rock'n'roll (in the 1950's sense) covers of recent pop/RnB songs - songs that I loathe (Rihanna's "Umbrella", Snow Patrol's "Chasing Cars", Katy Perry's "Hot N Cold") turned into objects of comedy. It's brilliant, and surprisingly listenable, with only one caveat: you'll end up with the stupid lyrics stuck in your head, with devastating consequences.

Oh, and there's a few things I'm looking forwards to this year - Evermore have a new album in the works, and Liam Finn is about to release "the difficult second album".

Oh, wait, I haven't ranted about Liam Finn yet?

His music is basically The Beatles gone psychedelic, straying back and forth between lyrical pop and the bare edge of pure noise. I'd pull up something on youtube, but it's all TV appearances where he's toned it right back to be a bit friendlier to your mother.

Playing solo, he hops around the stage, laying down a drum loop then hopping over to the guitar for a bit of a wail, before laying down another loop so he can return to the drums for a jam. Great fun to watch!

So yeah. Looking forward to that next album. Just a bit.

Some more names to finish:

The Backsliders (the Australian ones...)
Angry Tradesmen
Sarah Blasko
Boy and Bear

Oh, and Tim Minchin - mostly comedy, unfailingly scathing in his sceptical attitudes, but also a very talented songwriter and pianist.

OK, huge Australian bias showing here, but hey. Point is, there's plenty of great music! Just don't expect to find it in the top 40 terribly often...

There seems to be loads of 'real music' out there but I never know about it without rummaging about for it on Spotify.

The Telepathic Butterflies' 'Wow and Flutter' album is nice:
YouTube - Circle Man - The Telepathic Butterflies

I'm partial to a bit of Tame Impala
YouTube - Tame Impala - Solitude is Bliss
(good video!)

If garage is your thing, how about The Woggles?
YouTube - The Woggles - "It's Not About What I Want"

The Soundcarriers are nice if you like a 60s vibe sort of a thing
YouTube - The Soundcarriers - Uncertainty
YouTube - The Soundcarriers - Last Broadcast.wmv

Kula Shaker are still going:
YouTube - Kula Shaker - Great Dictator (of the Free World)

Graham Coxon:
YouTube - Graham Coxon - Bittersweet Bundle of Misery (MV)
(I *love* the girl!)

and a group no one's heard of: Field Music
YouTube - Field Music - Them That Do Nothing

What??? Claiming the Finn's AGAIN? You'll be wanting Pavlova and Russell Crowe next.

OK you can have Russell...

Sarah Blasko is sooooo coool....

I'm claiming Crowded House as ours (2/4 original members were Australian, and they considered Melbourne their home base for several years. Of course, 2 of the current band members are Americans...)

Obviously the Finn Brothers themselves are yours, but Liam is ours (he'd disagree. That's beside the point :devily: )

You can keep Russell...

As for pavlova, I tried your kind when I was in NZ recently, and it's really nothing like ours, so the debate seems pretty silly to me. Obviously I like the Aussie version better :D

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
I suppose it a question of perspective. When I hear people complain - or read threads like this - about the "lack of good music today" I think "who cares?"
Well, a lot of folks do, it seems.

But I never did, ever. With so many decades of good recordings to choose from, and so many centuries of great music - I don't care or even think about new stuff. It's nice when it comes along, but I never seek it out? Why does it constantly have to be NEW?

There are more than enough wonderful recordings and music to last me the rest of my life. I don't care when it was made.

Now, live, that's a different story.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.