Can you pass the Turing test?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Disabled Account
Joined 2007
I haven't read the whole paper - got to the exchange with 'Eliza':

User: Men are all alike.
Eliza: In what way?
User: They’re always bugging us about something or other.
Eliza: Can you think of a specific example?
User: Well, my boyfriend made me come here.
Eliza: Your boyfriend made you come here.
User: He says I’m depressed much of the time.
Eliza: I am sorry to hear you are depressed.
User: It’s true. I am unhappy.
Eliza: Do you think coming here will help you not to be unhappy?
User: I need some help, that much seems certain.
Eliza: What would it mean to you if you got some help?
User: Perhaps I could learn to get along with my mother.
Eliza: Tell me more about your family.

If this is a good example of intelligence and it actually fooled some of the participants, we are in trouble. I've had conversations like this and the quality of the replies indicated distraction - talking on the phone while checking emails, for example. Women are particularly good at this and have absolute faith in their ability to 'multitask'. :rolleyes:

Disabled Account
Joined 2004
Don't tempt me...OK, hoping this one doesn't end up in hyper space. Call me naive.

Here's a survival tip for good trolls -always create an uncertainty about the true nature and direction of your attack. Whimsical language (I'm on topic :D ) helps cover your true intentions like camouflage helps animals to cover theirs: to eat you and don't get eaten. Good trolls have to learn how to survive so others can be entertained. In that article, programmers use whimsical language to mask the true identity of their robotic 'creatures'.

As for me, I only criticize people I like and ignore the others. Don't try to fix what can't be fixed.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.