The food thread

Oh I like that idea! I gind I buy some pine nuts and by the second time I use them (usually months later) they are rancid, but when I buy them I only need a few tablespoons. Pistachios have a wonderful texture and flavour, I will try this.

Walnuts are frequently used here, too, given the versatility and regular turnover (freshness). But, yes, it's pesto season (tonight's dinner!) :D

Disabled Account
Joined 2017
so that is where all the good avocadoes went to. All we can get down here right now is small tiny little things that aren't even ripe after weeks of waiting. haha

I can confirm that I want to try avocado on toast but if you ask anyone else I'm sure they'll say that avocado is disgusting on toast. I think my aussie mates are trolling the lot of you (like we did with vegemite) but that is my personal opinion.

As for breakfast the favourite is whatever is available, poached eggs (runny eggs) on toast is a favourite in this family.

Last edited:
Joined 2011
Paid Member
In California, avocado is relatively inexpensive at this time of year. 4 medium-size avos for $5, 2 large-size for $5, at a fancy upscale supermarket in a wealthy (for Silicon Valley) neighborhood. At the farmer's market they sell 3 mediums for $2. In both cases the avocadoes need 1-2 days after purchase, for perfect ripeness.

Fresh guacamole in bowl #1, salsa cruda with fresh tomatoes from the back yard in bowl #2, tortilla chips in bowl #3, plus a few summertime beverages, out on the back deck. Very nice.

Disabled Account
Joined 2017
Last edited:
if you are one of those types who prefers using something less wussy then use the smallest and shortest possible knife you can get with a blunt edge on the end of it.

When it comes to knives in the kitchen I have simple tastes.

I use a 4" and a 6" Wüsthof meat slicer for everything, both of which I keep razor sharp at all times.

No idea how people injure themselves with avocados, must be either stupidity, carelessness or both.

Disabled Account
Joined 2017
No idea how people injure themselves with avocados, must be either stupidity, carelessness or both.

DDDon't pull that thread.

Why you don't pull that thread, see attached:

Attachments

• to-serve-man.jpg
    to-serve-man.jpg
    17.6 KB · Views: 89
Last edited:
When it comes to knives in the kitchen I have simple tastes.

I use a 4" and a 6" Wüsthof meat slicer for everything, both of which I keep razor sharp at all times.

A couple 3.5" paring knives(when they're $5 you get a couple), a 6.5" santoku and a 10" chef does everything for me. Most days I only touch the santoku. And razor sharp.

I have a friend who did the stab method on an avocado because the knife was too dull to slice the skin. See: article for result.

Ps, Scott, I'm off to visit a different friend at the San Jose AD site right now.

Last edited: