The food thread

I just ordered a batch of eggrolls. Special version, in addition to the correct cabbage and usual ingredients such as sausage and been sprouts, shrimp and langostinos. Most importantly MSG as they really don't taste the same without it.

I never saw an eggroll in China, not to say it isn't good food (I'm not an authenticity fetishist). Sounds like that is close to the original.

According to author Andrew Coe, who wrote “Chop Suey: A Cultural History of Chinese Food in the United States,” the egg roll was likely invented in New York sometime in the early 1930s. One of the chefs who claimed the honor, Henry Low, even included an egg roll recipe in his 1938 book “Cook at Home in Chinese.” According to Coe, the recipe included “bamboo shoots, roast pork, shrimp, scallions, water chestnuts, salt, MSG, sugar and pepper,” a much more luxurious mix than the “cabbage, flecked with bits of pork and carrot for color,” that “rose to dominate the restaurant tables and freezer sections.”

Cal,
BTY are you going to participate in the boycot and stop sharing your wisdom south of the border?
Funny you should mention that. I like to support my own country but once a year we make a pilgrimage to Bellingham for her birthday. That happens to be today. :)
I will ask a friend at the WSJ for permission, or put it on the free side.
Ta.

I never saw an egg roll in China,

I seen a peanut stand, heard a rubber band
I seen a needle that winked its eye
But I be done seen about everything
When I see an elephant fly
(What'd you say, boy?)
I said, when I see an elephant fly

I seen a front porch swing, heard a diamond ring
I seen a polka-dot railroad tie
But I be done seen about everything
When I see an elephant fly

Missed the diskuzzion tottaly, maybe because of the nice bears I drink; an Oppigards Thurbo IPa and now after dinner an Oppigards Thurbo Stout (this was a meaty one).

For dinner I had slightly hetead/grirled pork cutlets with fresh potatoes and grilled "grill chease - think Halloumi :D) and grilled tomatos.

How manny speling erors were there?

Attachments

• IMG_5261.JPG
    IMG_5261.JPG
    250.9 KB · Views: 202
>>@nez Costco sells over 1.2 million rotisserie chickens per week!

I tear that $6 chicken up... but it does pain me to wonder where it comes from. Enough to supplement with anti-biotic dark cuts on the grill most other days.

I do have to luxury of "mojo chicken" here though.. let's just admit that it's difficult to pass up.

I actually have a repair question that I thought it might work best to throw it up in this thread.

I have an old propane smoker that still works well, rust has mostly been kept at bay with rattle can.

There is one part that is worse for wear, the water pan. It is made of coated steel, and is designed to hold the water as well as keep drippings from falling down into the heat box.

It's made in a very particular shape and dimension, so not easy to replace. It's rusty and so makes any water added rusty. There are obvious solution, like just adding water to an aluminum dish placed on to of the steel pan.

I was wondering if anyone had come across a more elegant solution, such as for chipped coatings on cooking pans.

Disabled Account
Joined 2017
A can of Woolworths Corned Beef Made in Brazil + Mc Ilhenny Co. Tabasco Green Pepper Sauce. + Watching Revenge of the Nerds on Betamax on a Sanyo 34cm tv.

Attachments

• f964485125f9702739dd96a524ba7096_big.jpg
    f964485125f9702739dd96a524ba7096_big.jpg
    17.4 KB · Views: 80
  • 14081-0w600h600_Tabasco_Green_Pepper_Sauce.jpg
    14081-0w600h600_Tabasco_Green_Pepper_Sauce.jpg
    33.6 KB · Views: 88
Last edited: