The food thread

Joined 2014
Paid Member
Well I ordered the Tom plants for this year, but more for nipper to entertain himself picking them than anything else. Last year we had tumbling toms in all the hanging baskets, but he's getting heavy to hold up. Anyway teaching foraging is good :). I do miss growing heritage crops and hope to start again.

But the pumpkins have germinated. I suspect this will cause much excitement once he realises.

Ref slugs this year have tried nematodes to protect the delphiniums. So far so good.

Pinch of salt just makes them taste better.

I like the sound they make when they touch the second wire. (it may be all in my mind but I swear I can hear a little bzzzzt!)

I like the sound of the ego draining out of snails when they are dumped in a tray of salt.
The salt extracts the slime. Without the slime they are no longer.
Chucking them in the water butt works as well. They blow bubbles as they sink. The butt has to be emptied when the water gets used up yo get all the pebbles out that next doors little boy chucks in there.

Disabled Account
Joined 2017
What do you think, cheesy siding and chain link fence are included for free? 155 Harvey St, Cambridge, MA 02140 | Zillow

I would feel scared and confused in that house. In the living room you think you are walking past a minibar to your left and a kitchen pops out of the wall to the right.

The stairway is far too close to that front door. And what is with that first floor bedroom, what is that mirrored door leading to? Is that where I keep my clothes or is that where a bear barges through? Our inbuilts typically have sliding doors. I've never really considered the concept of "letting my clothes out" by opening a hinged door, I've always thought of a clothes cupboard as a revealing experience.

And upstairs in the bedrooms you think you are opening a door for a storeroom when in fact its the hallway. If I got up out of the lounge chair upstairs I would put my head through the roof. I would be watching Fiddler on the roof.

There are plenty of angled walls in that house, I'm pretty sure a modern architect designed it.

Would make a good candidate for a film set for the next Labyrinth movie.

Last edited:
What do you think, cheesy siding and chain link fence are included for free? 155 Harvey St, Cambridge, MA 02140 | Zillow

Hard to judge for me, swiss houses are different made, concrete cellar is a must, the place is very important for the price, also thermal isolation.
Also i think Cambridge MA is another price league than Ohio or Detroit, but i was only once in USA. Eastern 1995 in Chicago for 3 days, this is no reference but it was impressive and very different.
What i see is a lot of space for the money, on the other hand it looks like a lot of lousy gipsum boards and there is not a lot of space around the house.

Not my dream for the million.

Here the location can easy double or half the price for the same construction, i am not talking abouth Hollywood or other luxury.
I am not able to buy a house or flat, i have to bring at least 20% in Cash and with age 55 my income is waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay to low to get a contract for a flat costing more than 350'000.- which is not existing. So i stay rental for 2200 bucks a months in a 3 1/2 flat with 90 square meters, no balcony in the 3rd floor and no lift, just stairway.
(So what, its ok, the sun is shining again and my stereo including my big TT is working nice for me :D
No kids to supply and self cooking decrease the costs and increase the taste.)
Many swiss people are rental due those reasons.
We have beautiful places , imho the best public traffic system around the whole world, very good security ( no problem doing a walk in the night), we are very closed to the city and the mountains, good health insurance , its just a question of the price for everything. Thats why i still boycott McDonalds. :D

regards
Frank

Here is what it looks like today.

No idea why the software rotates the image!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    783.1 KB · Views: 85
They have their own language in every tongue, just like lawyers.
So you spearheaded the gentrification? :)

It's a long story, not at this place but nearby many years ago. One of my sons is having their first baby and the commute from where we are now is horrible (literally sometimes 2hr to cross town) so I was looking at what we could get closer to him for <1M.

I tore off and rebuilt the entire 2 story porch on this house from the ground up completely by myself, still looks OK after 27yr.. We sold it as 2 condos this current price is only for the small first floor unit.

125-127 Raymond St #1, Cambridge, MA 02140 | MLS# 70520602 | Redfin

Last edited: