The food thread

Bingo thought they were delicious.

Attachments

• DSCN9223.jpg
    DSCN9223.jpg
    130.7 KB · Views: 83
Marinaded and blackened? Tell us more please.

Hi Cal and all others interested, very easy recipe:
First you make Duckbreast fat side with small diamond cuts, make a marinade with dark soy sauce, Rosemary powder or fresh fine chopped, a bit pepper and some salt. Cure for at least 30 Minutes, better 24 h.
Before cooking, let igt get room temp.

Preparing :
Roast a nice handfull pumpkin seed, cool down and crush them
Put Duck into medium hot pan, fatty side down, 10-15 min, flip over, roast for 3-5 min, put in preheated oven 50 deg C, shut oven off, let it cure for 10 min.
Then its ready to cut into slices.
In the meantime you prepare salad and fruits to your choice, i like fruits with some sour taste like grapefruits, bloody orange or similar and some crunchy salads.
If you put a big leaf of green salad under all, it collects the juice :D

Dressing: 1 Table Spoon Honey, 3 TB red Balsamico, 3 TB Olive oil native extra, 4 TB Pumpkin seed oil ( the best you can get) and 2 TB Mostard Dijon old style containing the seed and add all juice from breast dropped down on your board. Mix.

Ok, big leaf of salad, put other veggie and fruits on it, add duckbreast, add crushed pumpkin, add dressing.

Serve with some fresh bread, ( flute parisienne :)) and a nice cabernet sauvignon or burgundy is not wrong.
Heavenly!

In the meantime i found something instead of rosemary, its called recado de achiote, its family from annato, this mexican stuff used also for puerco pibil.

Dreamcombo with duckbreast ,especially if you go with orange , grapefuits. Promised.

Duckbreats cost here around 12-18 $ one piece 400 gramms. i calculate on piece for 2 person main course.

Cheers
Frank:wiz:

Scott,

As usual, I am cooking lamb, dead steer meat would be over cooked at 140F.

Now have you ever checked your thermometer in boiling water? Mine reads 212.4 F so checking with my barometer it is about .6 degrees high. But then I used tap water not distilled.

Now the no longer here Chambers range when first tested was off by 15 degrees after it was only 50 some years old.

I was for two days in Paris (all work no fun) but I managed to find by chance a great small Italian grocery Rue de Maubeuge, with just a few tables. It's called taverna baraonda and they have the best burrata I've ever had. Just that and a few grilled vegetables... Best lunch in a while. Oh, that and they have plenty of organic wines which are pretty decent.

Peace Ed, I just have a different taste I do lamb same temp as beef 140 is gone. This is personal preference plain and simple no misunderstanding involved. I check my thermometers at the triple point and at boiling point you should have known that.

We have got way different lamb. Mine is almost red at 140F inside. Beef would be well over done at the same temperature.

It appears that duck (like rabbit) is way more popular in Europe.

If one travels through the Dordogne (in particular the Perigord), Les landes and the Pyrénées Atlantique regions in France, there's duck farm everywhere.
Several bird farms combine ducks, geese, chickens and wingers as guinea-fowls and roosters without cojones (capons).
There's small scale farms, plus ones that do duck by the 20K+

Attachments

• duckit.jpg
    duckit.jpg
    141.4 KB · Views: 76

Regulations for poultry grading by the Canadian food inspection agency are quite elaborate, e.g. include the shape and condition of the keel.
The UK government has comparable regulation, uses grades A and B.
The US department of agriculture has poultry grading regulation on a voluntary bases, with grades A, B and C.

The EU has neither voluntary nor mandatory poultry regulation with regards to quality grading, and EU citizens don't get to buy 5 Buck Utility Duck.

In my years in The Hague, a fresh batch of ducks was placed in the nearby (zuider)park around spring.
Each year, right before Xmas and Peking duck on the Chinese restaurant menu, all the ducks in the park mysteriously vanished. The Hague government went as far as hiring private security to patrol the park at night in December.