The food thread

I once hosted a group of deer hunters at my lodge (ironically they were commercial fishermen). The first day they killed a few deer and presented me with the livers to prepare for their dinner that night. Since I despise liver I asked them how the liked it and did my best ton cook something edible. They seemed to enjoy it but there was lots left over, so I took some that was raw, some that was cooked rare, and some that was cooked medium, and chopped it up and put it in my cat Spike's dish. We also had a dachsund, which would eat anything, so I kept the cat's dish part way up a spiral staircase where the dog could not reach. The cat came in, went to his dish, sniffed the fresh deer liver, and immediately pushed the dish off the stairs and looked at me like "Where the f is my dinne?" That is also howI feel about liver.

Funny enough, deer liver is the only liver I like. Cooked medium with grilled yellow/sweet (vidalia is best) onions. Preferably cooked at camp after cleaning the deer, for dinner. Grew up doing that with my grandfather, father, and the rest of the family each hunting trip. Some nice camp biscuits in a dutch oven usually accompanied it.

To cook liver, start with a pound of bacon.

Fry the bacon crisp, and retain the bacon fat. Set the bacon aside.

Slice the liver into 3/8" thick slices and dredge the liver in flour with a bit of garlic salt and black pepper.

Fry the liver in the bacon fat and set aside.

Pour off all but 1 TBSP of bacon fat. Add two TBSP flour and stir until it starts to brown. Add milk to make a thick gravy, adding black pepper and salt to taste.

Pour the gravy over the liver, and sprinkle with broken bacon bits.

That cat Spike met an early demise when he moved to the city. As a country cat the one thing he never saw coming was cars. He was the best cat I ever had, very independent and a good hunter. He kept us vermin free. I once saw him with a weasel in his mouth ( though the weasel was playing possum and took off at the first opportunity). He used to disappear into the woods for days at a time. The first time he was gone for a couple of days I thought that was it, a coyote must have got him, but on the 4th day he showed up and casually walked to his food dish on the stairs. The dog and the cat got along very well. One day the cat had been out for a while, then came home and went straight to the dog. They stood nose to nose for several seconds, then the dog raced to the front door and pawed at it like he desperately needed to pee. I let him out but he ran right under the deck, which was not where he usually took care of business. I went and looked and he was devouring a dead squirrel the cat had left for him!

Food thread, friends feed friends. :)

My daughter had a cat (that really ended up being my cat) which used to bring moles home and lay them out in a row on the front porch as if to say "look I have been hunting and am sharing what I caught".

Attachments

• Me and Starlight.jpg
    Me and Starlight.jpg
    44.8 KB · Views: 92
To cook liver, start with a pound of bacon.

Fry the bacon crisp, and retain the bacon fat. Set the bacon aside.

Slice the liver into 3/8" thick slices and dredge the liver in flour with a bit of garlic salt and black pepper.

Fry the liver in the bacon fat and set aside.

Pour off all but 1 TBSP of bacon fat. Add two TBSP flour and stir until it starts to brown. Add milk to make a thick gravy, adding black pepper and salt to taste.

Pour the gravy over the liver, and sprinkle with broken bacon bits.

That sounds fantastic. Gotta keep that in mind!

Calves (or veal ?) liver is great ! A bit on the expensive side though.

The best recipe I've got for it goes like that:

- start by slicing a bunch (really a lot) of onions, in thin long strips.
- drop a lot (really a lot) of butter in a pan on low heat, add the onions, salt, black pepper. Let it cook slowly until soft, slightly golden.
- while the onions cook, cut the liver in thin stripes.
- when the onions are done, remove them from the pan.
- clean up the buttery pan with sweet Asti or Cava. Let it reduce on low heat, put the onions back in and let simmer while cooking the liver.
- on a pan with less butter, on medium to high heat, quickly seize the liver stripes. The interior must stay pink.
- Add the liver to the sauce and serve immediately.

With chicken liver, crostini di fegatini are a great starter. The recipe here seems ok.

Sorry, i can't stand liver, no matter which one.
One time only, somebody did one from veal in asian style, this i could eat, but only half portion until my gorge closed somehow.
So i go for more traditional food, here *Fleischvogel*, dont know the name in english. This was a few days ago, tehn put them in the fridge, because imho they taste a lot better when cooked up again.

Attachments

• IMG_5996.jpg
    IMG_5996.jpg
    684.9 KB · Views: 91
  • IMG_5995.jpg
    IMG_5995.jpg
    716.4 KB · Views: 92
  • IMG_6020.jpg
    IMG_6020.jpg
    942.6 KB · Views: 93
Neither do I - hate liver in all appearances, the smell, the taste the texture ...:yuck:

However we have something over here (and maybe you find it elsewwhere) a sandwich cake, with layers of white bread and some stuffing in between. Most often a thick layer of maionnaise weems to be sufficent for most and then some shrimps as topping.
But in OUR COOKBOOK is a recepie where the layers are made of smoked baltic herring mixed with egg and another made of liverwurst (liver pasty) and chopped pickles. This is the only dish with liver I can eat and actually like.

SMORGASTORT ON YOUTUBE

So i go for more traditional food, here *Fleischvogel*, dont know the name in english. This was a few days ago, tehn put them in the fridge, because imho they taste a lot better when cooked up again.

In Austria they usually call these Rouladen (meat rolls). Do you put pickles in them? Interesting that the swiss call them "meat-birds", although I guess they are trussed up somewhat like a stuffed bird ;)

Sorry, i can't stand liver, no matter which one.

On a holiday in the south of France, on special request, I was asked to prepare pig liver.
Pretty much as I had anticipated, when I asked for pig liver, the butcher and both his collegues laughed me out of the meat shop.
(where's the brown paper bag when you're really in need of one ?)

My brother in law and his wife brought over another can of foie gras d'oie on returning from their home near Marseille (2 weeks out of every month) last week.
Foie gras on toast in front of the tv earlier this evening was somewhat bourgeois, but anything better than pig liver.