The food thread

Hard to argue with an already sealed vessel. As far as marinades etc, I tend to have a light hand because you keep most of the flavor in place. Other than making carnitas, where everything goes in, I've added the jus to essentially done reduction sauces as a finishing step, which does simplify service.

Stick with it Scott, you'll find your way. I don't think of it as a way to tenderize boot leather unless you have the time, more to prepare the finer cuts the finest way. I am going to get a plumbers torch with a fan tip for the finishing as I haven't had luck on the grill nor cast iron pan.

We are back from Costa Rica so I will have more time to experiment in the coming day/weeks.

The girl friend of one of my employees helps the elderly. When they move out of their house into a smaller place often with managed care they have stuff to get rid off.

Somehow stuff ends up in my warehouse that is waiting for a give away to a good home or to be recycled. Suffice it to say I am happy with my Maytag dishwasher and unlabeled chest freezer. Still waiting for an undercounter drawer style refridgerator.

As to longevity, with minor repairs a dishwasher with a porcelain chamber should last a Minimum of 20 years. Stainless steel not quite as long! The plastic ones are much nicer to install. First time I saw one it surprised me by how light it was.

There are two issues to getting good life. Most dishwasher detergents market themselves as able to clean everything with out pre-rinsing. That usually means they will clog the filter with bigger stringy stuff that is leftover and comes off of the item being cleaned. A partially clogged filter changes the motor load and before you know it new motor time. Changing the pump and motor in other than commercial units is often not worth the effort.

The other way to kill one quickly is to use a detergent that is just nasty. I have some organic pellet style stuff that is great at cleaning but is amazing at corroding steel. Then there are the liquid detergents that use a clay like carrier. Those will clog and kill the innards in record time.

Yes the 50 dB noise rating on gear is nice. But it is well above the noise level in my place.

Last edited:
Did the most import Christmas purchase today, for the generous X-mas smorgasboard - the smoked eel and some sea buckthorn marinated herring.
The eel is redlisted but fishermen by our lake transport eels up and down along the river past the power stations and can use the "offcuts" for business.
The marinated herring is tradition over here (had some great herring at Al Johnson's restaurant in Door County btw), and is subject to a lot of experimentation where saffron, elderberry, gin, curry, garlic, mustard, orange ...

Never tried the buckthorn herring before, so this will be a new experience.

Attachments

• IMG_4341.jpg
    IMG_4341.jpg
    45.5 KB · Views: 98
re Dishwashers - after repairing our Samsung at least twice, and cleaning out the toxic dump below the filters a couple more times, Susan decided it was time for an upgrade. Kenmore (Sears) by Bosch - works like dream, easy peasy filter cleaning, almost never need more than the quick cycle, and while I've not measured with my Realistic SPL meter, it sure is quiet.

Fun today, disposal seized up and a quick crank on the allen wrench to loosen it up showed that it was really seized and I turned the whole mess and cracked off the plastic fitting so now the water leaks right out onto the floor. This is as we started to prep Christmas dinner so I did something I never did before, I called the 24hr. emergency plumber and just said fix it right now (hose me). The world's most expensive garbage disposal.

disposal seized up and a quick crank on the allen wrench to loosen it up showed that it was really seized.

Our Ohio house disposal has a little flapper to have the "digestus" go in one direction -- out -- unfortunately certain foodstuffs (carrots for instance) clog it up. We learned from our handyman whose footsteps we worship.

Dishwashers --Bosch x Bosch in NJ and Ohio.

Gearing myself up for Christmas cooking with the grand-daughters. Let's see how they do with babka and kuchen.