The food thread

The missus and I are heading to the woods for a few days, so some precooked meals seem in order (though our rustic cabin has a fully equipped kitchen plus a wood stove). When we were in Montreal in August we stopped in a Hungarian deli on the Main where I bought some proper paprika. So: making goulash (really porkolt) tonight to take with us. Onions, beef, paprika, a few other things...

IMG_20171015_174643.jpg

Last edited:
Easy Scrapple is breakfast sausage boiled in water with cornmeal added. Thicken it, pour into glass pans, chill, slice and fry.

I bought some cheap pork trimmings and cooked them with onion, sage, garlic, onion powder, and bay leaves. Then chop the meat fine and add cornmeal mixed with cold water. Boil to thicken, pour into bread pans and chill till it is solid.

Sounds similar to our ( Cornish ) ' haggis ' .
Many butchers sell Hogs Pudding but the real traditional version is known as Groat Pudding , like a big pork sausage with the addition of secret ingredients and pearl barley .
I tried to find a recipe but the traditional ones are closely guarded and passed down vocally , Google shows bowls of groats pudding which is a Northern version and nothing like
'ours' , i'll try to find a recipe locally and post it if i do.

Last edited:
Smithfield (Virginia) style ham?

I've had bad luck following the classic recipes and would opt for days of soakage and water changes in the future. My results like a lot of comments on the web have been that the traditional result is unconscionably salty. Some replys say that that is just the way it is, any comments?

Dry cures can be really salty like you say, especially when dealing with such a large piece of meat that requires so long to cure. I think that was originally done so no refrigeration was ever needed? I always opt for the brine method. Equal amounts of coarse salt and demerara sugar and of course some of the dreaded nitrite. I also like to use an injector to speed the process. Doing it that way, you can have it ready to cook after less than a week.

No experience with Smithfield Hams but I used to soak Tennessee country hams for a couple days before cooking, and with a change of water or two. It helped but they were still salty although fine eating. I think changing the water frequently to keep the difference in salt concentration as high as possible might help. Now I want a country ham.

The Gimp might be the perfect resource on this.

Scott,

The folks I know boil the ham and then finish by a quick cosmetic roast or grill.

I am told that greatly reduces the saltiness.

Not quite my cup of tea, but I have done projects in the south were when eating with my crew everything including vegtables is normally served with a dollop of lard added with a soup ladle.

I hope you appreciate the humor.

Scott,

I hope you appreciate the humor.

There are a lot of acquired tastes if you travel around I guess Virginia Ham can remain an unknown to me. You guys up north have no business criticizing, I saw this recipe from Vancouver on TV tonight it looked grosser than it sounds (a mass quantity). The entire pork belly was poached in gallons of lard.

CRISPY PORK BELLY - 2 eggs, confit pork belly, grilled tomato,
salsa verde, hollandaise, homefries, toast, $14

http://www.redwagoncafe.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/01/Red-Wagon-Menu2017.pdf

The entire pork belly was poached in gallons of lard.
Sounds delicious. Hmmm... no wonder you never see a skinny Canadian.

Seriously though, why go to the trouble of salting the meat so heavily you don't need refrigeration and then turn around and boil the thing to attempt to bring it back to life? In this day and age, why not just have a ham?
Or am I getting it wrong, is this the kind of meat you toss into your packsack and head out to the cabin?

Sounds delicious. Hmmm... no wonder you never see a skinny Canadian.

Seriously though, why go to the trouble of salting the meat so heavily you don't need refrigeration and then turn around and boil the thing to attempt to bring it back to life? In this day and age, why not just have a ham?
Or am I getting it wrong, is this the kind of meat you toss into your packsack and head out to the cabin?

Country hams are salted, smoked and aged for up to a few years.

City hams are wet cured and sometimes smoked. That makes a moister ham.

Butcher shop hams are just the raw meat and need to be cured or cooked.

Real hams are found around theatres and no matter how trying should not be cooked.

It is the country ham that benefits from boiling to reduce the salt.

And there are specialty hams that are meant to be eaten in small pieces, sort of as an appetizer.

Last edited:
Haggis' cousin. You can buy it on Amazon Pantry!

November 9 is "National Scrapple Day": It’s almost time to celebrate National Scrapple Day | On The Menu | insidetucsonbusiness.com

By the sounds of it scrapple is very similar to traditional north German pinkel except that we use oats rather than cornmeal and stuff it into sausage casings.
Usually served along kale stewed with bacon and/or more sausages.

Since having moved to the UK I use haggis instead and kale from the garden.
Can't wait for the first frost because that improves the kale's flavour dramatically.

PS: Pinkel is not popular outside northern Germany and in particular the region around Oldenburg. Probably because in all other german dialects 'pinkel' means urine.