The food thread

If I want a milder taste for a change I roast garlic whole until you can squeeze it out. Whole heads on the side (just a slight trim off the top) with a leg of lamb is great.

As a variant to this, there is a great way to make the sauce of roasted lamb.

Put shopped lamb bones in a pan, put the lamb ( rack, leg, 'selle') on top and surround with many not peeled garlic cloves ( 10,15). The garlic rests on the bones in this way, the garlic will not burn.

Put it in the oven. When meat is cooked let the lamb rest in low heat while you make the sauce.

Throw away the fat and deglaze the pan with water, let it cook disolving the juice.
remove the small bones and strain through a sieve, squeeze the garlic in the sieve to get a puree with the juice.

Let it reduce and still on the flame whip some ( a lot) cold butter in to make the sauce. This is an elegant way to make a thick sauce with a puree of vegetables and no flower. Salt and peper of course.

Pupa is doll in latin -- all of us perpetual sophomores use puta instead. To paraphrase Flip Wilson "The Jesuit made me do it."

(Isn't Portugese the closest modern language to Latin.)

Back on thread -- made a wonderful vegetable biryani 2 nights ago -- great food for the cold weather and used up the last of a knob of ginger in the fridge.

Pupa is doll in latin -- all of us perpetual sophomores use puta instead. To paraphrase Flip Wilson "The Jesuit made me do it."

(Isn't Portugese the closest modern language to Latin.)

Back on thread -- made a wonderful vegetable biryani 2 nights ago -- great food for the cold weather and used up the last of a knob of ginger in the fridge.

I don't think it's related to pupa :)

Spanish profanity - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The local version here is called kapsalon (hairdresser's), sold at Turkish döner takeaways.

French fries, topped with (lamb or turkey) döner kebab, lettuce, onion rings, sliced cucumber & tomato, chili sauce, garlic sauce, finished with a layer of cheese, couple of minutes in the oven.
For fast food, not half bad.

Wifey, the famous molecular biologist, has been saying this for about 3 years.

God meant bananas to be mixed with heavy cream, a pinch of vanilla extract and some confectioner's sugar.

toss in the blender with some Kale, mixed berries, substitute with coconut milk and you've a pretty yummy vegan smoothy - honestly the kale doesn't really get in the way - at least that's what my wife tells me ;)

It's surprising she doesn't through a couple of gloves of garlic in that too :eek:

toss in the blender with some Kale, mixed berries, substitute with coconut milk and you've a pretty yummy vegan smoothy - honestly the kale doesn't really get in the way - at least that's what my wife tells me ;)

It's surprising she doesn't through a couple of gloves of garlic in that too :eek:

Have you tried blender kale ice cream? Last week I did "Cabala" carrot, apple, beet, apple, lemon, apple. Tasted better in the juicer, talk about fiber. :)

Last edited:
Have you tried blender kale ice cream? Last week I did "Cabala" carrot, apple, beet, apple, lemon, apple. Tasted better in the juicer, talk about fiber. :)

now that sounds interesting

Last night's soup - Yams, tomatoes, ginger, coconut milk, kale, garlic, sauteed onions, tumeric, cumin (no jokes, now kids), cayenne, veggie broth - you know, 1hr of prep time on all those veggies, then 20min cooking and 5 mins with the hand held blender -

I'd almost like to complain about the huge cut back on meat over the past couple of years, but with the right recipes this veggie stuff is so freaking tasty

only downside, is that some weeks I think too much fiber - and you know what I mean

Last night's soup - Yams, tomatoes, ginger, coconut milk, kale, garlic, sauteed onions, tumeric, cumin (no jokes, now kids), cayenne, veggie broth - you know, 1hr of prep time on all those veggies, then 20min cooking and 5 mins with the hand held blender -

Such coincidence, Sunday's veggie course...

Roast chopped califlower and carrots for 45min while making a sauce of mushrooms, leeks, roasted red/yellow/orange peppers, turmeric, pepper (do read about black pepper activating the turmeric), cumin, garlic, ginger, cardamom, allspice, all into the blender.

Cook everything together for another 15 min while wilting baby kale into it.

I mortar and pestle all the spices very fine and sautee them in ghee before adding.

If we are done with the kale...

This year for St. Patrick's day i learned an Irish recipe called "Dublin Coddle". Only the Irish would make a stew of sausage and bacon.

Fry a frightening quantity of bacon until just cooked, remove from pan. Brown some sausages in the bacon fat. Remove, and pour off excess fat (I added that bit). Now fry some sliced onions in the remaining fat, add back sausages cut into large pieces, the bacon, cubed potatoes, carrots (optional), water to almost cover, chopped fresh parsley. Feel free to add a bay leaf, thyme, etc. Also feel free to use chicken stock and/or beer instead of water (no wine though, this isn't French cooking!). Simmer while you go out to the pub, eat when you get home.