The food thread

I added some mustard seed and a couple other things I can't remember right now but here it is. I would guess it is 50% black pepper by weight, so around 1/3 by volume.

Attachments

• IMG_2581.jpg
    IMG_2581.jpg
    158 KB · Views: 110
Hehe, once I was out in the country and bought a big bag of dulse from some kid by the side of the road. When I got home I shoved a handful in a baggie and went out to meet some friends at the bar. I was waiting for my friends, sitting by myself with a beer, and I tossed the baggie of seaweed on the table to snack on. Some guy I didn't know started telling me to put it away before a waiter saw it and I got busted! I said, "No, it's OK, it's dulse,", and he said "I know it's dope, you gotta put it away!"

Salt-crusted purple seaweed; that guy had a one-track mind.

I have got these monsters to plant an a few weeks.
Only three cloves per bulb and I was expecting a lot more so that I could grow about half a dozen plants.
It was two cloves from an expensive elephant garlic bulb.
It had about 10 cloves and I saved a couple and planted them last year.

Attachments

• DSCF9512.JPG
    DSCF9512.JPG
    70.6 KB · Views: 85
Sorry, I missed it in your first post. I know Elephant garlic and was actually asking if that's what it was. I have grown it as well but I found it so mild compared with the regular sized bulbs that I only did it once. Have you grown it before?

If I want a milder taste for a change I roast garlic whole until you can squeeze it out. Whole heads on the side (just a slight trim off the top) with a leg of lamb is great.

If I want a milder taste for a change I roast garlic whole until you can squeeze it out. Whole heads on the side (just a slight trim off the top) with a leg of lamb is great.

You can also parboil garlic if you're in a hurry. Throw a couple of cloves, still in their skins, into a pot of boiling water for about 2 minutes. It is softer and milder, nice mashed with butter for garlic bread.

It is my first elephant garlic and the few cloves I got added up to about the same size as the original bulb we bought.
It was strong enough to make garlic oil that we use for cooking throughout the year. They may have behaved a bit strangely as we are not sure if the original bulb had been treated to stop it sprouting during storage.
The cloves will be planted as soon as the worst of the rain has gone. We have had flooding in quite a few parts of the country and the ground is still too wet right now. It could still freeze up too so they will just do nothing if the ground is frozen.
We will see how they go now without chemicals.

Last edited:
Here in North America I have always been told to plant garlic in the Fall (October or November), before the first frost, just like tulips or other bulbs. My brother grows quite a bit, as does my mother. My brother tried the elephant garlic but switched to "normal" garlic, probably because that was what he wanted to cook with. I think he got a decent yield from the elephant garlic, but I'm not sure.