The food thread

OK, so I've had a hour to play with this unit. I must say it's rather impressive. I like the ceramic elements, the convection is quiet, the preheat is fast. The temperature is stabilized by a built in 'rheostat' so it's about as stable as is possible.

I'm getting a better idea of why I wanted to go this route. :)

No broiler on your stove ?
(The kind under a gas oven or part of an electric oven)

Heading off to get my first good toaster oven. The others in the past have been such a disappoinment so I'm ready to bite the bullet and go for it. They have a super deal on at a local store right now so...

See ya. :)

The Smart Oven? | Breville
What's the deal on getting that instead of my 50€ oven which look similar but without all that digital stuff?

No broiler on your stove ?
No stove has a broiler, broilers are in the oven :D Yes the big range has one as well. We almost always use the little oven with just the two of us, which is why it was time to get a good one.
So, when's the first toaster dish event ?
Pizza it was. 4 little ones using tortillas as the crust.
And what on earth is a "broiler" in the old colonies? I thought it was a young chicken?!
Top elements inside an oven are called broilers here. Young chickens are called fryers.
What's the deal on getting that instead of my 50€ oven which look similar but without all that digital stuff?
What's the difference between a Mercedes and a Lada? All I know is I was tired of the 50 and 100 dollar ovens, it was time to treat myself, and so far it seems like money well spent.

First of the Habaneros. Up here they take a while to mature. Next to a pomegranate and a poppy for perspective.

Seems appropriate for November 11.

Attachments

• IMG_2459.jpg
    IMG_2459.jpg
    89.7 KB · Views: 86
Game pies

It's that time of year, although I bought all the ingredients, didn't kill anything myself. I woild have preferred partridge, but couldn't find any locally, so used Guinea fowl.

We start with a couple hundred grams of venison:

DSC_5723.JPG

Add some guinea fowl (or partridge or pheasant):

DSC_5728.JPG

Mix the game meat with some sausage meat, some diced bacon, some chopped fresh parsley and sage, salt, pepper, lemon zest, and crushed juniper berries. Make some dough, cut 14cm circles, put some of the filling in the middle:

DSC_5731.JPG

Make a smaller dough "lid", put it on top, seal the edges:

DSC_5732.JPG

DSC_5735.JPG

Ready to bake:

DSC_5736.JPG

Done:

DSC_5742.JPG

They need to set overnight, so I won't taste until lunch tomorrow.