The food thread

Cube the unpeeled potatoes and stir-fry them with the julienned onions and tiny pieces of smoked bacon in a wok. Smoked fat costs even less.

Tasty ánd nutritious.
Plus even better, if you have to cook for 20 heads, are at near gale open sea and have to breach yourself.
(means belting ones belly to a SS pole in front of the stove and spreading out your feet, yeeha)

Stew tonight; Icelandic lamb shanks, wine, stock, grated carrots, grated red peppers, chopped onions, leeks, and thyme cooked till everything is almost dissolved (6hr). Remove bones and treat yourself to the marrow before serving.

Nice, if you have 6 hours! Grating the carrots and whatnot makes a wonderful difference; they really do disappear into the "gravy", adding flavour, sweetness, and body. If you can cook it that long the meat falls off the bone, and the connective tissues dissolve and add mouth feel and flavour as well.

I once ordered the lamb shanks in a high-end resto in Montreal. The waiter's eyebrows went up approvingly, "Very good Monsieur!" The house red was the best I ever had, but I've cooked better lamb shanks.

I'm partial to a variant of duchess potatoes, with garlic and parsley.

(aka pommes de terre duchesse à l'ail et persil)

A little more low-brow, but I've always like potatoes Anna: thinly sliced potatoes browned in butter with grated onion, and cooked into a kind of cake. I sometimes do it small-scale, just one potato cut into think discs, layered in the hot butter with a bit of onion (or shallots or garlic), then the lid put on the pan so the spuds kind of steam while also frying, then flip it all over (the hard part) and brown the other side. Really fast and delicious (and bad for you, full of carbs and fat).

OK, I need help and this looks like the place for it.

My 17 year old granddaughter whom we have custody of just had eight teeth pulled. 4 wisdom teeth plus 4 incisors due to crowding which prevented orthodontia (Braces) from working.

She can't chew for another week till the stitches come out (Friday a week). We have to worry about grainy food getting lodged in the suture sites.

She has lost some 12# since last Friday and I'm having a hard time getting her to eat.

She will eat mashed potatoes with gravy, but that is getting old.

Her school lunch today was peanut butter and jelly, apple sauce, and potted meat.

Last night I pureed mixed vegetables and cheese which she ate with mashed potatoes and gravy, but puree shrimp in oil and garlic (gambas is normally her favorite meal)made her stomach upset.

I need some ideas of what I can fix for her.

tks

A little more low-brow, but I've always like potatoes Anna: thinly sliced potatoes browned in butter with grated onion, and cooked into a kind of cake. I sometimes do it small-scale, just one potato cut into think discs, layered in the hot butter with a bit of onion (or shallots or garlic), then the lid put on the pan so the spuds kind of steam while also frying, then flip it all over (the hard part) and brown the other side. Really fast and delicious (and bad for you, full of carbs and fat).

To flip it, place a plate upside down over the pan. Flip the two of them while holding the plate securely against the pan. Lift the pan off the plate, then slide the potatoes from the plate back into the pan.

I have never understood this toaster-oven terminology!

Don't you guys have built-in double ovens / grills?

Attachments

• oven2.jpg
    oven2.jpg
    37.7 KB · Views: 82