The food thread

I'm a little confused. You guys talking pizza and tomatoes. Up here in the great white north, we use canned tomato product to make our sauce but when putting tomatoes on the pizza, we do it at the end after it comes out of the oven. It saves the roof of your mouth. :) Are you guys talking cooking the tomatoes on the pizza? If so doesn't that make things a bit wet?

Yes, they are so-called "paste tomatoes."

BTW, here's some of our garden output, served last night as Tall Food.

Attachments

• tall food.jpg
    tall food.jpg
    78.6 KB · Views: 84
Thank Monsanto. It's the gene manipulation.....:)[/QUOTE]

No genetically modified corn or tomatoes for us... Silver queen corn and beefsteak as well as Roma tomatoes from my favorite farm stand. The corn is eaten the day it's picked and We freeze enough tomatoes to make sauce until next year.

Thank Monsanto. It's the gene manipulation.....:)

No genetically modified corn or tomatoes for us... Silver queen corn and beefsteak as well as Roma tomatoes from my favorite farm stand. The corn is eaten the day it's picked and We freeze enough tomatoes to make sauce until next year.[/QUOTE]

Silver Queen was around at least 50yr. ago it is an F1 hybrid but I know SY does not want to differentiate. BTW a nice fat worm in the tip proves that it is safe to eat. Our farmer got some flak so I wrote him a note that he repeated in the newsletter almost verbatim. If the worm is healthy it's good food and he only eats the dry little kernels at the tip anyway.

SY, maybe smeone should develop an accelerated life test for humans.

Joined 2007
Paid Member
Bad news for you: if it's not teosinte, your corn is genetically modified. Beefsteaks as well. None have the same genome as the wild type, and all were altered via human manipulation.

How dare you cloud this discussion with indisputable facts! :D

Yes, I was aware of that while researching what varieties I could plant. It would just be horrible if they decided to sweeten it. The Peruvian variety also is more starchy and the sweetness is much less than yellow corn.

Yes, the ancient peoples of South and Central America were quite clever. Starvation is a great motivator, I suppose. Teosinte is probably not that palatable..and least by photos it doesn't appear to be.

Genetically modified foods (GM foods, or biotech foods) are foods produced from genetically modified organisms (GMOs), specifically, genetically modified crops. GMOs have had specific changes introduced into their DNA by genetic engineering techniques.

The third type of hybrid consists of crosses between populations, breeds or cultivars within a single species. This meaning is often used in plant and animal breeding, where hybrids are commonly produced and selected because they have desirable characteristics not found or inconsistently present in the parent individuals or populations. This flow of genetic material between populations or races is often called hybridization.

I could be wrong(I often am) or just naive but one seems worse than the other to me.

While I wouldn't say they were equal, those descriptions don't tell me enough to judge "worse."
If the worm is healthy it's good food and he only eats the dry little kernels at the tip anyway.
We must have different moths here. These little buggers will eat a trail down the ear. But they don't really eat much, and I guess you could gather 'em up and use 'em for tacos.:)

I could be wrong(I often am) or just naive but one seems worse than the other to me.

There's more to it than that, including traditional methods of propagation of fortuitous mutations, selection, interspecific breeding, horizontal gene transfer... In any case, older methods of altering the genome are blunt and imprecise, modern methods are focused and much more precise, predictable, and efficient. Result is fewer health hazards, far higher agricultural efficiency (meaning massive reductions in famine and disease, as well as lower rates of nutritional deficiencies), reduced use of pesticides, and the correlative increase in life expectancy.

Food snobs can continue to cherish organic heirloom produce with its production inefficiencies, while mass agriculture feeds the world. We are truly in a golden age.

Joined 2007
Paid Member
I grow organic but select liberally from non-organic sections at the market. What a mess I am!:D

Dump avocado into the big mix. Plants just love to fool around and mix their genes. Keeping it all straight and pure is a big headache. Isn't that what led to the Irish Potato Famine?