The food thread

Mexican has not been well represented in Australia in general, most is themepark cliche chili beef and beans style stuff with no real depth of flavor and lack-luster salsas where every dish has the same boring, predictable menu, flavor profile and mushy texture. all served in establishments that house tired Mexican caricatures that sometimes extends to the staff uniforms, sombreros and cheap tequila

its a pity, because done well its great food with attitude, fresh flavors and texture. the use of limes, smoked chili peppers, slow-cooked beef, white con tortillas, chocolate and spice, with fresh salsas etc can be great.

Last edited:
Indeed, and like all great cuisines, it varies markedly from region to region. It pains me to see sauces like "mole" reduced to generica- there are so many kinds of moles, and every chef has his/her own variations. Same with something simple like huevos rancheros. My version resembles something you'd get in Oaxaca, but nothing like you'd get in Mexico City or Texas.

Speaking of which, there's migas, a great egg dish that is not known outside of central Texas.

Joined 2007
Paid Member
Last year I worked with a software developer from Melbourne and he was extremely eager to try Texas barbecue and Tex-Mex.

SY, good to know the batos are taking care of your pantry needs. Fajitas were also relatively unknown, even in Austin, in the early 80's. Back then it was considered trash meat and was under the radar, except to poor Mexican families. My father grew up eating fajita meat from time to time. It was a luxury coming from a family of South Texas cotton pickers.

I guess that is the reason for his continued good health at 76. His family had to survive on lots of fresh veggies and fruits.

Making corn tortillas is straightforward and anyone should give it a try. The results are really good! Migas...mmmmmmmmmmmm

Our Mexican neighbors are from Chicago, and are planning to move back this summer. The mother doesn't speak English, but does like to cook. We get tamales with fresh salsa on a semi-regular basis, and just a couple of days ago she offered me a plate of enchiladas rojas with fried potatoes on the side. Good stuff!

Yes, menudo isn't popular at this house.

It is a popular dish

Yes it looks much better than the traditional one (Portugese) I am more accustomed to. Wiki has opened my eyes.

My friends just use stale bread, tomato and something green and leafy, often another leftover kind of thing. I've never made it so I don't know. Maybe I will try the Tex-Mex one.

Michelin star joint, ready-made ice cream in the freezer.

I had a dairy industry text book on the science and chemistry of ice cream. Back in the 40's and 50's the general ingredients were quite high quality. Proper freezing and ripening required quite a bit of quality control, to get the perfect melting resistance and mouth feel (going from frozen directly to perfect creamy liquid in the mouth).

Madeline Kamman's "velour glace" used 32 egg yolks to a quart of heavy cream. BTW restaurants here are forbidden to use any raw milk ingredients (except cheese aged > 60days).

Joined 2007
Paid Member
Yes it looks much better than the traditional one (Portugese) I am more accustomed to. Wiki has opened my eyes.

My friends just use stale bread, tomato and something green and leafy, often another leftover kind of thing. I've never made it so I don't know. Maybe I will try the Tex-Mex one.

Confusion and hilarity if you travel to Spain, Central America, and South America.

Examples -

serrano (Mexico) - type of pepper, hotter than jalapeño
serrano (Peru) - derogatory term for one who comes from the mountains
escabeche (Mexico) - jalapeños, pickled with onions and carrots
escabeche (Peru) - pickled vegetables with chicken

Indeed, and like all great cuisines, it varies markedly from region to region. It pains me to see sauces like "mole" reduced to generica- there are so many kinds of moles, and every chef has his/her own variations. Same with something simple like huevos rancheros. My version resembles something you'd get in Oaxaca, but nothing like you'd get in Mexico City or Texas.

Speaking of which, there's migas, a great egg dish that is not known outside of central Texas.

for sure, your mole example reminds me somewhat of paella and how the same 'basic' dish can be so regional and also personal. re Mexican, it is starting to change a bit, Sydney and Melbourne are starting to pick up some more interesting Mexican, but it hasnt really extended up here as yet. I'm keen to explore it some more though. any sites I might do some research?

In general we dont have a large Mexican immigrant population here in Australia, unlike Thai, Vietnamese, Malay, Chinese, Italian, Greek, Indian (another victim of generica in general) and Slavic

Last year I worked with a software developer from Melbourne and he was extremely eager to try Texas barbecue and Tex-Mex.

SY, good to know the batos are taking care of your pantry needs. Fajitas were also relatively unknown, even in Austin, in the early 80's. Back then it was considered trash meat and was under the radar, except to poor Mexican families. My father grew up eating fajita meat from time to time. It was a luxury coming from a family of South Texas cotton pickers.

I guess that is the reason for his continued good health at 76. His family had to survive on lots of fresh veggies and fruits.

Making corn tortillas is straightforward and anyone should give it a try. The results are really good! Migas...mmmmmmmmmmmm

you guys have got me hyped for Mexican next weekend. Any suggestions for winter warmers, or slow cookers I can have bubbling in the background while entertaining?

Texas BBQ, yep, i'd be very keen, I do a sticky Pork ribs, with chili, garlic and cocacola :D scrummy.

OK so more sweet and tangy stuff, I had some friends over for coffee this arvo and Mum, who loves her cakes but has been warned off too much wheat, so here we have a Polenta, Almond meal and semidried blueberry, Citrus syrup cake. This was followed by the 2nd batch of pineapple, mint, lime, ginger, palm sugar sorbet. I caramalised the palm sugar, which adds some more depth, but does take away from the vibrant yellow colour some.

It was a great spoil for the syrup cake though, to freshen the pallet. after being all dairied out on the last lot of OTT icecream, I didnt feel like serving with cream.

Attachments

• citrus, polenta, almond meal, blueberry cake_13May2013_1608.jpg
    citrus, polenta, almond meal, blueberry cake_13May2013_1608.jpg
    251.1 KB · Views: 56
  • polenta, almond meal, blueberry cake_13May2013_1610.jpg
    polenta, almond meal, blueberry cake_13May2013_1610.jpg
    236 KB · Views: 56
  • pineapple, mint, lime, ginger sorbet_13May2013_1606.jpg
    pineapple, mint, lime, ginger sorbet_13May2013_1606.jpg
    190.2 KB · Views: 57
Last edited: