The food thread

Joined 2007
Paid Member
The actual scandal at the cupcake competition was due to my daughter changing her recipe at the state competition. It was a lemon basil cupcake with lemon curd in the center. A culinary teacher flipped out and started pointing a finger in my wife's face.

Her winning entry at area competition was a wonderful pumpkin cupcake with butter cream caramel icing with hints of course salt in the cake.

The problem was with the organizers who confessed this was only the 2nd year they have done this and didn't get rules of competition to the schools until it was too late. After my daughter explained, everyone calmed down.

Either way, we enjoyed eating the flops! Mmmmmmmm

No cheese sauce or mayo in either recipe! ;)

it does not fully wash out.

I've had occasions in winter months, where my eyes started burning by a finger stroke, several days after slicing chili peppers.
Nowadays, I coat my hands with oil before touching hot stuff.

The nerves of my legs are so damaged that I have to wear thermal long legs when temperature goes under 65F (capillary polypropylene fiber stuff, thermolite by Musto).
To me, it appears as if capsaicine in open air wears off it's strength after a number of days, as if it evaporates.

Try spending time every couple of months at a place where it's sensible to wear light colors, but with a snack stand every few hundred yards.
Close to a thousand total, 5-6/mi2, with the stuff that's been an addiction for the last 35 years. (they even published a book on the Snèk phenomenon a couple of years ago)
And at any bar that has appetisers, every restaurant, and at every music venue.

My personal record of fouling a pair of white shorts is under ten minutes.
For concerts & food, I've already made it a rule to drag a set of clean T & shorts along.

Attachments

• potpikacuracao.gif
    potpikacuracao.gif
    62.2 KB · Views: 121
Last edited:
Anatomy of a torpedo sandwich.

Attachments

• IMG_1596.jpg
    IMG_1596.jpg
    98.9 KB · Views: 45
  • IMG_1595.jpg
    IMG_1595.jpg
    114.5 KB · Views: 43
  • IMG_1594.jpg
    IMG_1594.jpg
    107.8 KB · Views: 41
  • IMG_1593.jpg
    IMG_1593.jpg
    104 KB · Views: 41
  • IMG_1592.jpg
    IMG_1592.jpg
    86.9 KB · Views: 40
  • IMG_1591.jpg
    IMG_1591.jpg
    92.3 KB · Views: 50
  • IMG_1590.jpg
    IMG_1590.jpg
    102.3 KB · Views: 99
  • IMG_1589.jpg
    IMG_1589.jpg
    114.4 KB · Views: 101
  • IMG_1588.jpg
    IMG_1588.jpg
    113.1 KB · Views: 102
Soup goes with sandwich so...
Anatomy of a soup:

Make the stock. This one happens to be chicken wing tip, chicken skin, onion skin, carrot ends, celery ends, garlic ends, a dose of coriander,turmeric and whatever else I'm forgetting. Boil, strain, cool, skim the fat and add a little salt and whatever else you want for flavour then add bean curd stick, cloud fungus, egg noodle, egg, green onion, garlic chive and w.h.y.

Attachments

• IMG_1598.jpg
    IMG_1598.jpg
    66.6 KB · Views: 42
  • IMG_1599.jpg
    IMG_1599.jpg
    94.1 KB · Views: 44
  • IMG_1600.jpg
    IMG_1600.jpg
    82.5 KB · Views: 37
what sane man would make Pineapple, Lime, Mint, Ginger and Palm sugar Gelato in Winter? a man who just got given an ice-cream machine of course! pics later, I ate the rest of the first batch just now, but already have another underway. the Pineapples we have in abundance at the moment are truly superb, hardly any sugar is needed, even with Lime. I got some corn syrup for this batch, to aid scooping for the stuff that actually makes it into the freezer.

Good thing because it cost more to make than even the gourmet stuff. Took the machine back.
icecream yes, gelato, no. 1lt of pinapple, mint, lime, ginger, palm sugar gelato (thought briefly about spiking it with Chili+white rum) ~$3.40-60... commercially? not available, but something close runs about $7-8 minimum

vanilla bean, buttermilk, butter/muscovado/salt caramel fudge swirl (complete with whole sea-salt crystals that pop in the mouth) with freerange eggs and toasted macadamia praline.. i'd rather not say lol. I guess about $13 +1.5hr, but I know of nothing in Australia that competes commercially.

after the icecream I too thought briefly about returning it, thinking about the money I might spend on such things, but the gelato could be even cheaper with other fruits, here in QLD we get choice mangos, cheap excellent pineapples, good stonefruit etc, all pretty reasonably and its HOT here in summer, so after the success of the pineapple sorbet I figured i'd keep it.

Last edited:
This mob - Ice Cream, Gelati & Sorbet Colin James Fine Foods - do pretty good icecream/gelati/sorbet - makes visiting my wife's family that live at Maleny a bit less painful ;)

A bit out of the way for regular purchases though ..

mate of mine used to chef there some years ago when he was living in Beerburrum, the icecream is pretty decent, but not a chance any commercial outlet like that would come close to the excess quality ingredients I used, or spend the time I did on technique, finesse, its simply not commercially viable. a restaurant might, for a $30+ desert plate (probably an understatement). just the sugar I used for the caramel fudge is nearly $25 per kg (didnt buy it for this and of course didnt use a kg), the pink salt..., organic unpasteurized milk, freerange eggs etc etc. it was an exercise in excess. Billingtons dark Muscovado would do just fine for half the price though, thats what I normally get.

I do like the Maggie Beer stuff, though the caramalized fig one was a bit too full on even for me, I do like the elderflower/vanilla though.

Last edited:
As good as any on the market.

A place I worked at had a pastry chef, who previously also used to do ice cream.
Guy even carved sculptures from huge blocks of ice for special occasions like you wouldn't believe unless seeing it yourself.
Michelin star joint, ready-made ice cream in the freezer.

(done some experimenting with yogur ice cream, tossed that thing ages ago. what I do like is freezing balls of purée'd fruit, in particular for hot & cold desserts, but merely requires a fast freezer)