The food thread

... presenting the loudest burgers created in my kitchen up to now:

IMG00090.jpg

Why loudest? Well, I triggered the smoke alert in the living room while frying the meat.

Turned out that given a room height of approx. 3m, climbing on a chair and jumping up and down is not sufficient to reach the smoke alert. Also turned out that pushing its button with a stick does *not* reset the alert. Also turned out that it takes quite long to find the appropriate ladder in the dark attic.

Finally turned out that women do not approve loud alarm sounds late in the evening for extended times. Ouch.

Rundmaus

Hi Scott,

Is that hot pot or a fondue? Are the terms interchangeable in Chinese cuisine?

EDIT: Never mind, I just Googles Chinese fondue and up came pictures of what you showed. I thought hot pot referred to a crockery style pots that came to your table sizzling all to beatin' hell, but with no heat source like a fondue.

Nice thing about food is you never stop learning. :)

It was traditional Sichuan Hot Pot broth with both hot and mala "numbing" peppers (supposedly so you don't notice till it's too late). They did also have some scraps of lamb and decent squid for it too. You throw in what you want family style.

Usually, I just fry the freshly minced beef shortly in a really hot pan. Afterwards, some salt and pepper on it, then the cheese and back into the *cooler* pan now to just melt the cheese.

On the bun, some salad, tomato slices, some hot spiced pickles and of course freshly sliced onions. Enough of them. Tomato ketchup to glue everything together. Finished!

Rundmaus

EDIT: A nice Guinness Draught cold from the fridge works well with the above recipe.

You throw in what you want family style.

OK, so that is what we think of as Fondue. A far cry from the 'candle warmed' cheese or stock or oil or chocolate, with the little forks, type fondue that I grew up with. My wife introduced me to this type of fondue and we enjoy it rather often. In our pot she does the outside ring, usually a TomYum kinda broth for the veggies and I get the center to do what I like, usually something with chilies.

Attachments

• IMG_6177.jpg
    IMG_6177.jpg
    84 KB · Views: 83
OK, so that is what we think of as Fondue. A far cry from the 'candle warmed' cheese or stock or oil or chocolate, with the little forks, type fondue that I grew up with. My wife introduced me to this type of fondue and we enjoy it rather often. In our pot she does the outside ring, usually a TomYum kinda broth for the veggies and I get the center to do what I like, usually something with chilies.

I wonder if this came with Marc Polo too? Though some dispute the pasta story. You should try the mala/chilie mix.

Last edited:
hahaha :D You guys crack me up.

Question: how much cow is currently in European hamburger meat???? Percentages, please. :p
Do you use to add pork meat to the mixture or just 100% beef?

I like to add lettuce, onion, tomato and so, but from time to time I like to eat a burguer with just the meat and the bread. No sauces, no other ingredients intereferencing in my meat tasteing experience :D