The food thread

I suppose there's plenty of Makowiec in the Cleveland area, can't find it here.

Heinen's --
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Although you will note that Mom got short-changed by 6% on the deal.

Yesterday was Dyngus Day in Buffalo and Cleveland -- do they have the same festival in Wisconsin?

I don't think I'll use the extruder again as SY suggested but the final product did work out ok. It's a very thin and light Enoki sauce, it's not floating in the stuff as it looks, honest :)

Attachments

• IMG_1571.jpg
    IMG_1571.jpg
    80.6 KB · Views: 92
OK, tonight is Corned Beef night, wahoo! Been looking forward to this. 8 days in the brine and ready for the pot. I used the big zip-locs to cut down on the amount of brine needed and the space in the fridge and I flipped 'er around once or twice a day. The remainder of the spice mix has been added to the cooking pot along with a splash of white vinegar and a touch of white sugar. I am doing just the one of the two pieces tonight.

See you in 3 or 4 hours.

Attachments

• IMG_1576.jpg
    IMG_1576.jpg
    123.9 KB · Views: 85
  • IMG_1577.jpg
    IMG_1577.jpg
    65.1 KB · Views: 77
  • IMG_1578.jpg
    IMG_1578.jpg
    102.6 KB · Views: 80
Here's a neat article on clamming in this mornings NYTimes:
http://www.nytimes.com/2013/04/13/us/in-washington-clamming-for-food-and-tradition.html?_r=0

...before I went to college, the only clams I knew were from HoJo's.

My family has dug clams on that beach since the late 1800's. I don't have much respect for the man in the picture however, true Clammers use a "Clam Gun" which is actually a special type of narrow shovel designed long ago for digging Razor Clams! Heck, when I was a pre-teen kid, my cousins and I would roam the sand spits on the minus tides looking for "tourists" to embarress. If we found some that were having trouble, we'd walk up near them and then several of us would dig up clams with our bare hands. We'd make sure that we caught their attention while showing off our clams all around, and then throw them back in the surf. Some of these Tourists had been digging for hours without getting a single clam and these "snot-nosed punk kids" had just dug up 4-5 clams nearby in just a couple of minutes!

Who said that smart a$$ punks never have any fun! ;)

Best Regards,
TerryO

Joined 2007
Paid Member
Scott, did that cost them a fortune? I'll never forget when I flew to Lima to meet my wife for the very first time. She put out a very nice spread for me and it wasn't until much later did she tell me she spent a very large portion of her income to welcome me into her to her apartment the very first time.

Scott, did that cost them a fortune? I'll never forget when I flew to Lima to meet my wife for the very first time. She put out a very nice spread for me and it wasn't until much later did she tell me she spent a very large portion of her income to welcome me into her to her apartment the very first time.

No, thankfully only $4 or $5 US per person including a local beer. The chow line at the project was pretty good, they issued us Chinese Army mess kits ( I was strongly discouraged from bringing one home).

Joined 2007
Paid Member
No, thankfully only $4 or $5 US per person including a local beer. The chow line at the project was pretty good, they issued us Chinese Army mess kits ( I was strongly discouraged from bringing one home).

Ahh, nice that it was affordable. At that time I could have lived like a king in Peru. $25 bought a great deal of food. But that was considering my salary vs. hers. Huge difference. The seafood is wonderful there.

Hi Scott,

Is that hot pot or a fondue? Are the terms interchangeable in Chinese cuisine?

EDIT: Never mind, I just Googles Chinese fondue and up came pictures of what you showed. I thought hot pot referred to a crockery style pots that came to your table sizzling all to beatin' hell, but with no heat source like a fondue.

Nice thing about food is you never stop learning. :)