The food thread

Did you do just the siphon part or did you use the inside the shell part and the guts as well? Were they local?

I tossed the offal, but ate the rest. The siphon was the best as advised, but the rest was not bad at all, had a little more "clam" flavor, not the pure "sea-breeze" of the siphon, but very good. As good as sushi bars.

I got it from this place on the internet.

Buy Sushi Grade Fish Online | Sashimi | Make Sushi at Home | CatalinaOP

Kinda local. I have bought from these guys before and they have really nice fish. I will buy from them again - :)

Empire Kosher variety -- brined and rinsed. Both turkey and chicken.
Brining is a great way to do it. When doing whole birds, that's always my choice.
What's your secret?
Does it work for different types of cooking... roasted, fried, BBQ'd?
Simple roasted. You need the whole breast bone on and a complete undamaged skin. Put in on a board or in the sink with the ribcage spread and smash it flat with heel of your hand a couple times. Carefully peel back the skin using scissors to free it as you go along.
Make a paste for under the skin. Make whatever you want. It can be as simple as Franks Red hot sauce or something more elaborate. I like to use vinegar, salt, cayenne pepper powder and /or flakes and Paprika. Make it spreadable and use lots, so the entire meat is covered and is starting to run off a bit. Carefully pull the skin back over so that it holds the sauce in place against the meat. Put in fridge for a couple hours.

Here's the part I can't tell you exactly but you will be a pro be the second time you do it. I se te toaster over so it's hard to tell but I would guess it's around 350ºF or so and it's there for only 45 minutes. Peel back the skin and enjoy. Really moist, really good. If only my Mother had known this when I was younger, breast might have been enjoyed in our family.

It's the pasta sheet maker from Kitchen-Aid -- they didn't have them around for several years and I found one at Williams Sonoma. There are 3 in the kit. The bad thing is that the nylon gears can fail.

Crusciki is mostly egg yolks and flour, some sugar, a little rum or vodka causes the dough to blister when it's fried owing to the lower evaporation point.

Mr Walton,

as a consolation, a way superior Robot coupe from Miss is Sippi requires deep pockets, and their catalogue also hasn't listed the pasta dick utensil for quite a few years.
(seems like a bunch of those companies have been in rough weather for a spell, fortunately me ayatollah of machined mechanics)

Yesterday evening, I did a 5-courser at a restaurant. 4 out of 5 included a dough sheet variation.
Little baked triangle under the salmon mousse entree, twirled sticks on the side with the soupe.
Deep-fried Mikado decoration on top of the Belgian big butt steak, in a layer of red wine sauce.
Desert in a rectangular dough basket without a bottom.
Imaginative chef cookie.

Last edited:
Easter Dinner

I'm cooking for the family as usual.

Ham
Turkey Breast (for me)
Sweet potato casserole
Cabbage
Green beans with Tasso ham
Mashed potatoes
Deviled Eggs
Stuffing
Yeast rolls (mom's recipe)
Butterscotch pie for desert
Sweet Tea (In the south, a must)

I would do the turkey breast in the Romertopf, but it requires a 425F oven and the ham and rolls cook at 350F so I'll do an open pan bake on the turkey breast.

The key to a moist turkey breast is don't over cook it. Use a thermometer and pull the breast at 165F. Cover with Al foil and a couple of towels to hold in the heat, and let it set for 25 minutes before slicing.

I'm also making a batch of Jerkey for the grand-kids.

Attachments

• Jerkey-1.JPG
    Jerkey-1.JPG
    215.8 KB · Views: 90