The food thread

Last edited:
There are some perfectly mediocre wines available here in Northern Illinois at prices that are very appropriate for high quality wines. So I probably don't need to branch out to WI as well. Plenty in Northern Indiana as well, but that is just frightening to contemplate.

Cedar Grove is not too prohibitive a drive, and my wife is running up to Appleton next week anyway... Appreciate the tout.

and my wife is running up to Appleton next week anyway... Appreciate the tout.

In that case this is not much of a side trip (if they are still around). Their Assiago was good enough for Formaggio.

Park Cheese Company, Inc.
For more than 30 years, Park Cheese has been making fine Italian cheeses, using traditional Old World cheesemaking methods combined with the freshest milk and natural ingredients. The company's Casaro Aged Provolone has been recognized by Bon Appétit magazine as one of the top 10 American-made artisan cheeses. Its full flavor intensifies and sharpens with age, providing the traditional "piccante" (sharp) flavor.
168 E Larsen Dr
PO Box 1499
Fond du Lac, WI 54936-1499
Phone: 920-923-8484
Fax: 920-923-8485

"If you don't like Bacon"

If you ever run across it, you should try Wagyu tallow (named ox fat here).

My favorite wholesaler just started stocking Wagyu/Kobe beef (under lock and key display)
At $78/lb, still round the bend, so I better not make a habbit of it.
(as a not so good Catholico boy, saving them for tomorrow, right after I one-hand saluted the BP of VC, in It)

But the Wagyu tallow isn't that expensive, just used it to sear some top round steaks. Organic Bio-(degradable) quality, fyi.
A-OK in comparison to clarified butter, imo.
Example : http://shop.wagyu-farm.nl/Webwinkel-Product-17525711/Beef-tallow-200-grams.html

Attachments

• FryThePope.JPG
    FryThePope.JPG
    370.1 KB · Views: 74
Last edited:
If you ever run across it, you should try Wagyu tallow (named ox fat here).

My favorite wholesaler just started stocking Wagyu/Kobe beef (under lock and key display)
At $78/lb, still round the bend, so I better not make a habbit of it.
(as a not so good Catholico boy, saving them for tomorrow, right after I one-hand saluted the BP of VC, in It)

But the Wagyu tallow isn't that expensive, just used it to sear some top round steaks. Organic Bio-(degradable) quality, fyi.
A-OK in comparison to clarified butter, imo.
Example : http://shop.wagyu-farm.nl/Webwinkel-Product-17525711/Beef-tallow-200-grams.html

Technically Wagyu alone is not Kobe any more than sparkling Aussie shiraz is Champagne. Though there is an Aussie Waygu farm that is 100% grass fed, organic, etc. the HD image on the panel looked like a great compromise actually good as a steak.

I once ordered a $75 200g steak in China rare, it turned out to actually be Kobe with its huge globs of fat. Better in shabu-shabu.

Clarified butter and bone marrow make a good steak fry-up BTW.

Attachments

• 2010-09-21-KobeBeef2.jpg
    2010-09-21-KobeBeef2.jpg
    77.4 KB · Views: 63
Last edited:
In honour of my Mother's Irish heritage, we are fooding with some rather traditional ingredients. Perhaps not the closest things to Irish recipes but...

Braised beef brisket, cap off, in a Guinness and Jameson and french, yellow and green onion style jus.
Beef tendon in a more traditional asian style with 5 spice, dried chilies, ginger, soy, sugar.
Chicken thigh Ragu done Vietnamese style by my honey with carrot, potato, yellow onion, tomato and fresh chilies.
Potatoes does Poutine style with red and green Jalapeno cheese instead of curds.
Cabbage, fired in bacon fat with onion and crumbled bacon.
Leftover Guinness and Jameson for the cook.

Clarified butter and bone marrow

With all the BSE and Creutzfeld-Jacob dealings, (fttb) I prefer to restrict bone marrow to Ossobuco, from NZ veal only.

(On the Japanese 1-12 marbling scale, the Wagyu cattle bred here are 9-11. Originate from the US, Australia, and NZ. best results are with the US origins, afaig)

Last edited:
With all the BSE and Creutzfeld-Jacob dealings, (fttb) I prefer to restrict bone marrow to Ossobuco, from NZ veal only.

(On the Japanese 1-12 marbling scale, the Wagyu cattle bred here are 9-11. Originate from the US, Australia, and NZ. best results are with the US origins, afaig)

Well it's personal taste I guess, that boneless ultra-marbled ribeye was not appetising cooked western style. (maybe the scale is logarithmic):D BTW Nikuya the California meat broker claims American Waygu is never over 6 which would be my experience here.

Last edited:
Brisket
Tendon
Ragu
Cabbage

No poutine just yet, I have to wait for the bleeding to stop. I was wondering what to do next or perhaps wondering what would Jacco do and the next thing I knew I was bleeding. Thumb and index finger. Guinness and Jameson - bad Cal.

Attachments

• IMG_1538.jpg
    IMG_1538.jpg
    74.8 KB · Views: 63
  • IMG_1539.jpg
    IMG_1539.jpg
    62.4 KB · Views: 62
  • IMG_1537.jpg
    IMG_1537.jpg
    69.3 KB · Views: 53
  • IMG_1536.jpg
    IMG_1536.jpg
    70 KB · Views: 48
Right.
FYI, I haven't cut myself once, over the last six weeks.

(only the 4th car accident in 4 months, last saturday. And for the 4th time not my fault, total loss/totaled. The Lexus that hit me in the right rear corner, managed to remove it's left side from the front light to the rear passenger door, like a sardine can)

Last edited:
Why go centimeter, if one can do inches.
USDA Grading of Wagyu Beef

The Sirloin =>

"According to anecdotal evidence, approximately 90 percent of F1 production will grade 5, 6 or 7. In other words, 90 percent of the F1's - if fed for 400-450 days - will grade Prime or High Prime. Of course, the final results are highly dependent on variables such as feeding and breeding and no published numbers are available to prove these beliefs."

There are some breeders that do 100% grass fed (no grain finish) no Waygu locally, but that's about all we buy. Haven't seen anything marbled like that steak in a store or restaurant here, maybe NY.