The food thread

$2.50 is amazing, live Maine/Canadian did $12.50/lb wholesale sunday last.

Given the distance I suppose that's not bad. Locally here in Canada fresh lobster has been $5/lb for the last couple of months. We always have a feed on New Year's eve; a lot of folks here get some for New Year's or Christmas, so that usually pushes the price up, but catches have been unusually high this year.

We get good local mussels (and Oysters) from Poole, as well as from Scottish Lochs and Dublin Bay.

Say NO! to mayonnaise (which however is great with eggs!)

Mussels need shallots, white wine and a dash of sour cream - and good mopping bread. And a big basket of fries.

Moules Marinière, in fact.

Oysters on the half shell. With lemon and nothing else. The only way.

Last edited:
#cliffforrest -- i thought they deep-fried everything in the UK

30 years ago my wife and I took our sons to the West of England at Easter Break. We screwed up a reservation so had to stay in a somewhat run-down commercial hotel. The young men were, however, very enthralled at the breakfast which had sausages, fried tomatoes, beans, toast, fried eggs, and tinned OJ. All the things you never get at the relais et chateaux!

As it's time again for yet another episode of nostalgia revisited : PETER SELLERS & SOPHIA LOREN - 'Bangers And Mash' - 45rpm 1961 - YouTube

Easy for you to say.

Try living at 5 minutes from a commercial fishing harbor, where everything arrives fresh daily, also where portions of various order cooked/fried/raw are offered with home made sauce remoulade, aioli, others.
(oh gawd, the scale reads 260 again)

http://www.meteohellevoetsluis.nl/m...en-langs/2012-0114 (1738P1202)-by-DigiSpy.jpg

Ex-Moderator R.I.P.
Joined 2005
being able to do this every day if I wanted to makes me feel very priviledged

yesterday was especially good :)

Attachments

• IMG_8481.JPG
    IMG_8481.JPG
    198.8 KB · Views: 85
  • IMG_8471.JPG
    IMG_8471.JPG
    149.7 KB · Views: 79
  • IMG_8509.JPG
    IMG_8509.JPG
    144.4 KB · Views: 80
  • IMG_8499.JPG
    IMG_8499.JPG
    186.4 KB · Views: 77
  • IMG_8482.JPG
    IMG_8482.JPG
    217.7 KB · Views: 82
Inside blade roast; frying pan, stovetop pot roast!

Still digging out from the holidays, especially after a certain wife comes home with a certain 'surprize' light fixture that knocks certain ebay audio goodies off the table ... I picked up a super-cheap cut of meat yesterday: inside blade roast. This one was boneless but this will work with all the cheap cuts of meat. $3 for a big thick slab-o-death!

I usually pick up whatever's on sale and then google "x recipe" and found a forgotten technique: stovetop potroast!

Trick here is you need a deep frying pan preferably with a lid (if not I guess you could use foil). We're going for a long, slow, wet, heat ... that's what she said! My lid had a steam hole so I plugged it with foil. Whatever you do/use you want a reasonable seal.

stovetop frying pan potroast deep pan.jpg

Ok, here we go:

Season the outside of the steak/roast and rub it in. Give it a good sear on both sides in the hot oily pan and throw a sliced onion and whole mushrooms around the side to get a bit of fry.

Mix up a couple of cups of broth. Go nuts here! Broth, beer, soup, tomatos, ... I did beef bovril with a squirt-o-everything (Worcestershire and black bean paste!) Throw the broth in, scrape around to get all the good bits off the bottom (what the fancy call 'deglazing the pan').

Here's the next trick, heat: too much --> boil=tough, too little --> nothing=tough. Just a hint of simmer and then cover it up! Leave it for 1 to 2 hr depending on the cut/size. Don't look! (I couldn't resist and flipped it once!)

Pull the meat, raise the heat and thicken the gravy and ... serve, me with egg noodles (big meat but I'm giving a big chunk to my son).

stovetop frying pan potroast egg noodles.jpg

The meat ... awesome! That good deeper-than-filet beef taste, so tender it falls apart as your fork approaches with nice seasoned sear (more sear per volume than a roast!). The juicy meat shreds and falls into the rich, complex gravy that's been soaked up by the mushrooms. Ah, the 'shrooms are "saucy and juicy" as my son said and have their own cool texture and concentrated savory flavour burst!

... I think I can hear Cal drooling from the other side of the country ... :cool:

Frypan, stovetop potroast method for tough cuts of meat

I think I just had a foodgasm...

Well, ... just consider that a late Valentine's Day present! :D

I'm really loving this cooking method:

Frypan, stovetop potroast method for tough cuts of meat.

I mean:

1 pan/lid = easy clean up
wet, slow cook = cheap, soul-satisfying meat
stovetop = low energy, low $
easy, don't peek = short prep, low maintenance

It's super versatile! Any tough cut (bone/no bone), any seasoning, any veg (classic-parsnip, wacked- brussels sprout), any broth, any accompaniment (noodle, potato, rice, ...)

It takes a while but the actual hands-on is low or you can just cook it anytime ...

... I did one last week where I cooked it and ... dinner plans got changed ... so I let it cool and put it in the fridge! Yup, the whole freaking pan--just cleared the shelf bull-dozer style! ... wife loves it when I do that (actually I could take off the handles--they unscrew, then it would be pretty compact! but part of my Husband Contract states I have to **** her off)

Cool thing here is the fat congeals on the top so if you wanted to go all healthy (within the confines of salty, red meat) you could pick it off before reheat.
I didn't and just threw it back on the stove with the lid on, and the foil still stuck in the hole, on low for a 1/2 hr, flip to coat and serve!

Made some lunch packs out of the leftovers and keep aside a heavily gravied chunk (even the language is wholesome and Dickensian! I mean, when do you ever get to say 'gravied'?!?) ...

ok, ... ahem, ...

Aromatic, crusty roll, cut open and buttered both sides.

Thin sliced red onion and clumsily applied hot horseradish, yah lots, you know you like it ... then, mountains of shredded beef with (now extra) concentrated salty/savoury gravy.

Think awesome pulled-pork sandwich except salty/beefy instead of sweety/porky

... maybe a Gherkin and a chunk of swiss or emmental on the side ...

The heady scent of wheat; ck,ck (you test it with your teeth a little) ck, ckkkkk, CRUNCH; crisp, cool onion bite, beeeeef oh, the beeeeeeef and then the tickle starts in your nose, that effervescent tickle. The hot starts, the beeeef ... it's, it's overpowering ... and your eyes water and the slippery gravy runs down your wrist ...

Cal, you owe me about $5 ...

... for total cost including energy for like 6 meals! ;)

Last edited:
Preferable not to do that.

Nice catch!

I was hoping those-wize-in-the-ways-of-meat would throw out some protips!

You don't tend to season a long roast like this for two main reasons:

1) Salt/season will draw out the moisture, ok for a quick steak but this is 1-2 hrs

2) It's usually seasoned crust or sauce--like suspenders and a belt. One or the other ... if not the flavour platforms start battling each other and you end up with UN intervention on a plate ...

Is that close?

In my defence, this is DIYaudio.com and this is ... DIYfood! I was going for a bit of a steak/roast hybrid! A stoast .... or a reak!!

Cheers,
Jeff

Last edited:
Whether or not the salt draws moisture from the meat depends on how it is introduced. For example, one of the best ways to retain moisture in a meat is a dilute wet brine. The salt actually fixes the moisture in the tissue. OTOH, if you allow a larger amount of dry salt to come in contact with flesh then it dries it out.

The reason I would not season the outside is that you are searing it after you have applied your rub. What does that do to the seasoning?

Urchin was really good. Amazing how the crap of the ocean does that from time to time.

Ok, so onto the morning. Go to the junk section of your veggie market and you get this amount of orange juice from about 20 of the uglies. The uglies are the best for juice. They were $2.50 for what you see, just shy of 2 litres.

I don't use a juicer, I use something like this - way better, you get pulp, and you can control how much, my wife loves it.

https://www.proctorsilex.com/products/juicers-alexs-lemonade-stand-citrus-juicer-model-66331.php

Attachments

• IMG_1524.jpg
    IMG_1524.jpg
    96.7 KB · Views: 66
  • IMG_1525.jpg
    IMG_1525.jpg
    69.6 KB · Views: 48