The food thread

Most is half price there (save European/German automobiles)

Quite addictive local thing is the Karkó, aka pink conch, the es-karko of the Caribbean.

With Cal a week incommunicado, time for some O/T :)clown:) :

Speaking of the Santa Barbara golf resort, there was a genuine coup d'etat show going on there a week ago, ex-Hyatt : Hyatt ousted as operator of Curacao resort - Travel Weekly

Couple of weeks ago I stopped by at their Seru Boca marina for a talk about a permanent docking space (the way it's going there, they should have offered me a better deal than regular week rate minus 10% discount)
In particular for dutch citizens, Curaçao is a favorable early retirement location, out of the hurricane region and legally airtight : http://www.pwc.com/an/en/publicatio...cao/Assets/Memo_-_Penshonado_-_2011-07_uk.pdf
(the g/f developed sjögren's syndrome, which altered the plans from south of France to the Caribbean, 3 years and counting till permanent residency)

Last edited:
Most is half price there (save European/German automobiles)

For Christmas dinner I just picked up fresh Maine lobster tails at $2.50 US each, while the high end restaurants continue to put $15 or more a person adders on menus when a dish with even a 100g or so of it is included. In general the luxury ingredient adders seem to be 1000% or more mark up.

$2.50 is amazing, live Maine/Canadian did $12.50/lb wholesale sunday last.
I got me a frozen maine lobster, together with a pound of langoustines for a soup starter this evening, just put the shells on the stove for the bisque.

Also got me tasty prosciutto on the cheap for Xmas this year, as usual the only downside is the 5.5 lb
Getting started this morning for christmas brunch was the pits, right from slicing the ham, can't recall making such a mess of the kitchen before.

Attachments

• X-Brek.jpg
    X-Brek.jpg
    216.2 KB · Views: 153
Last edited:
This Oreo Cookie thing is quite lost to those not raised in the USA.

You did/do not have local similar ones in the UK ?
Regular Oreo can be bought at various places here, both regular shops as wholesale.
But there's still more than one generation around that grew up with the queso version, which may be an early (post-ww2) Oreo clone.

Why some items reach a national trademark status is pretty interesting.
(i'm way too scared to read the annual lb/p mayonaise consumption figure of Cheesica)