The food thread

What can I make for people who, if I give them anything other than beans on toast, they look like they really would have preferred beans on toast?

I don't fancy the obvious Mexican versions. I thought of something Italian with white beans and pork because that's what I'd like to try cooking, but that may be too distant from Heinz.

If it was proper cowboy I could probably get away with anything. Did cowboys really eat beans? Anyone got an authentic cowboy beans recipe? And what about the toast? I'd go for spelt and rye...did cowboys eat toast?
Try to make that, there are several recipes on the net. Beans with tomato are child's play compared to it

Fabada asturiana - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

pinto beans and cornbread

Lots of recipes from authentic-looking American country folk :). I've never seen cornbread, and it looks like it can go badly wrong. I'm going to try it on myself first. Somewhere I've got a bag of cornmeal, and occasionally I wonder what can be done with it that isn't in the vicinity of Mexico.

Pork and beans with bread seems to be a common theme throughout much of the world. Fat or oil relieves the stodginess and carries the flavour into broken beans, and the more beany-tasting beans nead salt and robustly-flavoured diversions. Bread soaks it all up. Perfect with salad or a plate of cabbage.

I should ask my Slovakian neighbours. Lots of woodland and arable. Perfect for pigs and bread, but I don't know about beans.

Did cowboys really eat beans?

that depends.

the 'Great Store of Cowboy Knowledge'

is held in place by one of the most Venerable, (and Revered)

of American Institutions.

that would be Holywood.

usually referred to as Hollywood.

you might have noticed in some movies,

at the 'tradin post,

three items were purchased. (besides firearms)

these were -

1. coffee

2. bacon

3. flour

in other movies,

these three items were purchased (besides firearms)

1. coffee

2. bacon

3. beans

so only half of all the Cowboys ate beans ...

did cowboys eat toast?

no Real Amer-I-Can Cowboy Ever ate toast.

- God Bless John Wayne _

Last edited:
Just the kind of thing I had in mind. Pork shoulder is cheap, and a slow cooker can be very efficient. What's more, "The cowboy has deep historic roots tracing back to Spain", according to

Cowboy - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I guess I can weave the pigs into the story somehow.

Here you have a good recipe. The most important thing is to use good cured/smoked meats, put the beans covered in water the day before cooking it, cook it slowly along 2 or 3 hours.... and you're done!

Some quite good recipes:
Spanish Recipes: Fabada Asturiana
Fabada Asturiana recipe

Disabled Account
Joined 2004
I feel obliged to say that to attempt to cook a fabada with the wrong kind of beans is bound to be a disaster. Even if you got the right beans is not easy to get it right at the first try. Too much emphasis on recipes and not enough on the right ingredients. I go about things the wrong way springs to mind.

Vaquero (cowboy) is a dead word or so I think; maybe still used in some remote places. We still use the plural (vaqueros) for jeans.

Ex-Moderator R.I.P.
Joined 2005
new blade on its way

from the very first cut, my new number one favourite knife :)

and btw, always cut almonds like this, one by one
if you need it more fine grained, just turn the sliced almond 90degr, and chop lightly
done the right way its unbelieveably easy
and believe it or not, also the fastest method
but needs a good knife ofcourse :D

Attachments

• IMG_7762.JPG
    IMG_7762.JPG
    185.8 KB · Views: 123
  • IMG_7463.JPG
    IMG_7463.JPG
    217.1 KB · Views: 123
Here's my first trial attempt at white beans and pork, quasi-Spanish style, complete with my only kitchen knife ever, a proper sword steel Sabatier filleting knive...thin, flexible, and sharpens like razor.

The ingredients came from within ten minutes walk. Polish runner beans, Slovakian smoked sausage that smells like the house is on fire added at the end, leg pork seered and added after 1 hour, bacon at the beginning together with saffron, smoked paprika, Spanish garlic and olive oil, bay leaves from my yard, and wild oregano that grows all down the street after I grew some in a pot years ago, climate change? Beans swell up almost as big as butter beans, but aren't so creamy and still taste like runner beans, oddly.

Bread is Polish spelt. Pot and bowl GDR austerity-ware.

Actually it's OK but the bacon's rubbish and the sausage tastes like the house was on fire, and it's the wrong kind of bean.

Apologies to Cassiel, and all Spanish people everywhere. I'll use the proper stuff when I cook for guests.

In Bradford it was hard to find pork for years, because the majority inner-city population of Muslims don't eat it. Now a new generation of Poles, Czechs and Slovaks have turned up, and they seem to eat nothing but, with white cabbage.

Attachments

• Beansandpork2.jpg
    Beansandpork2.jpg
    312.5 KB · Views: 122
  • Beansandpork1.jpg
    Beansandpork1.jpg
    321.8 KB · Views: 115
Congratulations! It looks pretty good, even if it isn't 100% the original recipe. WTH??? New inventions are the way to go!

For nearly the same price as bought locally, you can get those ingredients here. OK, they're even cheaper on that website.
Embutidos and Meats | Saborear

Fresh cooking chorizo and asturian smoked morcilla.

And get a canned one to compare, this brand is pretty good, I like it alot:
Spanish Regional dishes | Saborear