The food thread

What, a few thousand years out of the desert and you can't take a little heat ?

Forget the desert, if you really like heat, chomp down on one of these...:D

I would dare someone to eat a Habanero or Scotch bonnet, but I'm not sure about these, they can really hurt you, guaranteed to put hair on your a$$.:hypno2:

Bhut Jolokia (Ghost pepper) is a perennial, it is year 2 for this plant. I hope to get several years of peppers from it.:p It is loaded with these little heaters, don't really know what to do with them all though. Talked to the manager at a local Mexican restaurant, I might be able to trade for some margaritas. :cool:

Attachments

• DSCF5715.JPG
    DSCF5715.JPG
    453.5 KB · Views: 93
  • DSCF5716.jpg
    DSCF5716.jpg
    703.7 KB · Views: 87
Hey, you could share some with your diyA food pals, postage paid.

I don't know about sending produce to other countries, I know that bringing produce into this country from just anywhere is restricted, and for good reason. However, seeds do not have the same restrictions and could be mailed in an envelope. I'm sure biologically ghost peppers probably are not an issue but the local import commerce cops I'm sure have a different opinion. Bhut Jolokia is an inter-genus species. That is, they are a cross between a Scotch bonnet (capsicum annual) and a perennial pepper from China I think, not completely sure. However, unlike the 'hottest' peppers created in a lab, the seeds from these are not sterile and will grow a plant that is like the parent, evidently a rarity when it comes to mixing species within a genus. Nightshades are strange like that.

Speaking of the Nightshade family, one thing I like is tomatoes. Unfortunately corporatization of tomatoes has had a detrimental effect on the crop. This is one reason I cultivate them. I have a strain that within a small isolated patch, I have been breeding over the last 4 years some that are quite tasty and have very good texture. Dark red with a dull sweetness with texture very much like a melon is a good way to describe them. The majority have an irregular shape, as opposed to round, a descendant of a Krim strain with generally few seeds, but this year I am trying to breed them with a ‘Cherokee purple‘, a local Tennessee variety. It will be next year before I see the results. These things take time you know, can't be rushed in a lab.:) From one year to the next, you keep the seeds from the fruit of the plants that seem to produce the features you desire, and next season plant next to the plants you procure that also have some features you desire. Eventually you end up with some that share what you want in a tomato and forward that strain. In the end you end up with something that is much better than what you can by at the general market. Certainly when it comes to tomatoes it is all in the DNA.;)

The main issue with commercial tomatoes is not the variety but the handling for transportation- they are picked green, then gassed with ethylene to turn them red. If you take the same tomatoes and let them ripen naturally, they will be delicious, but will not withstand being shoveled onto a truck, transported a thousand kilometers, stuffed in boxes, transported again, then stacked at the grocery store.

That said, we (obviously) love heirloom varieties, but even commercial beefsteak tomatoes are great when you get them fresh picked directly from the farm.

These things take time you know, can't be rushed in a lab.:) From one year to the next, you keep the seeds from the fruit of the plants that seem to produce the features you desire, and next season plant next to the plants you procure that also have some features you desire.

More folks probably know that Gregor Mendel, pater of hybridization, was an Augustinian friar, but couldn't identify Martin Luther being of the same tribe!

We grew heirloom tomatoes in our front yard for about 3 years, and then one year the entire crop collapsed. I believe the varieties were "Mortgage Lifter" and "Oxheart" -- and the latter was one of the best tasting ever.

Certainly when it comes to tomatoes it is all in the DNA.;)

Well my family certaily lost the DNA from my grandmother's plum tomatoes. I can't find anything like them, you literally could not wash the pine-like smell from the vines off of your hands. They had thin skin, high acidity, and sweetness. I don't much about this stuff but someone once mentioned that breeding tomatoes further and futher away from their deadly nightshade ancestors has been detrimental to the taste.

Disabled Account
Joined 2004
I don't much about this stuff but someone once mentioned that breeding tomatoes further and futher away from their deadly nightshade ancestors has been detrimental to the taste.

Every several years you have to cross them with another variety, otherwise they start losing some desirable qualities. Anyway, I'm no expert but I know that too much inbreeding is a bad thing.

220px-Juan_de_Miranda_Carreno_002.jpg

We don't get to use the big grill much with only the two of us so we often use the portable unit. We've all seen them, you know, the single burner, sometime hot, sometimes not, poor heat distribution...all those things that take the fun out of grilling.

It was time for something new. I bought one of these.

Nexgrill 820-0015 2 Burner Table Top Gas Grill with Tank Regulator Sale – Review & Buy at Best Price | 10000 Btu Heat Best Reviews

It was only $115 CAD.

It is the best small grill I have ever worked with. I couldn't be happier. I bought it on Thursday and it already looks 2 years old. :D