The food thread

Joined 2006
Paid Member
Actually, it's very nice weather here. But in Texas, where I lived until a few weeks ago, the weather is dreadful, unless 40-45 degrees C is your idea of comfortable.:D

I missed out on the fact that you did a relocation to Chicagoland Sy. Now we will get to listen about how you miss Austin while you are freezing your rear end off during the winter months (there are about 8 of 'em) in Chicago. I used to work for DEC up in Mass. I NEVER liked that dreary weather there!!! The best thing was the color change of the trees in the fall - but there are so many tourist busy getting lost on the back roads that even that isn't much fun. Well - that and the fact that I think that all of the pretty women there left for warmer climates. ;)

ps - at least you are in a fun city tho - haz some great music clubs and the steaks are almost as good as the ones in Texas.

Look in the back of any pizzeria in Italy and you'll see the cooking done by... Turks.
That reminds me of a time, many years ago, here in Halifax, when a friend and I went into a local pizza joint to buy some pizza. I noticed that the guy behind the counter was reading a Greek newspaper, so I said "Oh, you're Greek". He said "No, I'm Italian". So I asked "So why are you reading a Greek newspaper?" He said "You read Greek?" I said "No, but I studied math and physics in high school, so I recognize Greek letters when I see them. That's a 'phi', and that's a 'tau'..."
He stopped arguing, but he never admitted that he wasn't Italian.
Of course, Halifax is famous for Donairs anyway...

No photo, but I was satisfied with a dish tonight. I had a chicken I needed to cook, and I wanted to grill it on a rotisserie, but I was in the mood for Indian food. So I took some Panch Phora, plus some cumin, coriander, fenugreek, brown mustard, and a dried red chili, ground them up. Added some garam masala (very little, just realized I was almost out), Indian chili, turmeric, onion powder, garlic powder, ground ginger, salt, black pepper, paprika, and rice flour (to kind of bind things together, and to make the skin crispy), and heavily coated the chicken with the mixture. Cooked it on the propane grill over a pan of water (so the fat wouldn't flare up) on the rotisserie for a couple hours until the colour changed. Moist and delicious!