The food thread

not peeled my tomatoes before, I do my puree in a food processor then strain

Best way still is the oldfashioned way, imo, with a big SS vegetable sieve.
Faster would be to use my (built-for-life) Magimix (Robot is a bit over the top for my taste).

Currently processing >200lbs of freebee tomatoE-s. In a couple of days, a similar quantity of cucumbers arrive, followed by a motherload of red bell peppers. (gawd, how fun it is to be a stinkin scrooge, i should be residing under a bridge)

Each tomato batch goes in a 5gal pot for the first boil down, in a smaller one for the second stage =>

Attachments

• Toms.jpg
    Toms.jpg
    175 KB · Views: 80
Last edited:
Apples for the pectin?
I find the heirloom varieties yield more, maybe quince would be a good substitute. I use a chinois on my tomato puree (somehow apropriate) :).

SY - I find the Chinese restaurant scene to rely a little too much on the sauce factory, I realize that's a fairly eccentric opinion. It would be interesting to see some top restaurants with signature sauces 100% made on premisis, I doubt the "Heinz" flavor and texture could be duplicated from supermarket only ingredients.

You would appriciate the fact that we had a seder last week and my sons wanted to put barbecue sauce on my daughters brisket. She quickly hit the pantry and whipped up a date and spice based sauce from Sephartic tradition.

"Farm run off" -- nice euphemism for animal excrement.

The phosphates from fertilizer used to be awful on the Great Lakes.

In the Southeast states folks purchase into a retirement village in the winter only to find out in the spring that they are 2 miles downwind from a hog farm.

Speaking of "bottled on premises" sauces -- "Peter Luger Sauce" is available in and around NYC -- from the steakhouse in Brooklyn.

If you are going to use a pre-packaged "chili sauce", the Heinz stuff is the worst option. It's just sweet ketchup with a bit of flavour. Why not use some nice sriracha instead?

Because of the tomato-y tang it gives, especially after being browned a bit. Very different profile than sriracha. The heat in the dish comes from elsewhere (red chiles, Szechuan peppercorns, chile-garlic sauce).

We don't use to have chile or chili con carne in Spain (despite being a spanish name). Could someone please explain their recipe to get a real decent preparation?

I have eaten it some times but it is not a common dish here. With some advice, I may save years of trying to make a good chili. I have heard that making a chili is one of these recipes that grandmothers teach to their sons, and so... And that there are many variations elsewhere.

What's your own?

Best regards!

PS:Thank you very much SY for the mustard ketchup recipe, I will try to do it as soon as I can :)

chili con carne

The so called real recipes do not use anything from a can, do not use a ground meat and do not contain beans. You can find those recipes aplenty on the 'net. I was involved with the Canadian Chili Championships some 25 years ago but didn't really like what they required so I quit doing that. Great party though. You had 4 hours from the start whistle to present to the judges.

What's your own?

Personally I like the recipes that use ground meat and beans but to remain true, I don't use anything from a can so it means soaking your chili beans (not kidney beans) the night before. You can find many good recipes on the 'net but I have found I need more cumin for my taste than most of them suggest. Also, fry the onion, don't use it fresh. Green peepers are ok just to thrown in the pot. What you do with the tomato depends on your taste. Some will peel and seed it while others just cut and mix in. From then on it open season. I have tasted some very good, if not rather strange, chili con carnes. Some of the gamier meats lend themselves well to the recipe.

Thank for your reponses. sofaspud, I've been reading those recipes and seem quite interesting. I have noticed that they use someting called "Mild bills", is that a brand for spicy food?
They state quite a big amount of commercial brands in the ingredients, but I would like some recipe more suitable for someone outside the states. I mean, with generic ingredients instead of commercial brands.

Cal, you have a secret recipe for sure :) How do you cook it? Could you please care to explain?
But there's no real substitution for a real cook as you are :D

Hmmm.... Mild Bill's. Not familiar with it. I don't like the name. It's a pet peeve of mine that too many restaurants tend to make "Tex-Mex for gringos." I want them to bring some heat! My orders always include, "Muy caliente, por favor." Dunno the Thai or Mandarin translations, but same problem. :(

People may not be so eager and willing to divulge their champion recipes, and will substitute sponsor brands in lieu of "the real thing". "Canned" may make one think "opener," or "Mason jar." Just perspective.

Last edited:
Hmmm.... Mild Bill's. Not familiar with it. I don't like the name. It's a pet peeve of mine that too many restaurants tend to make "Tex-Mex for gringos." I want them to bring some heat! My orders always include, "Muy caliente, por favor." Dunno the Thai or Mandarin translations, but same problem. :(
Are you saying that they serve food cold? Are gringos supposed to like cold food?

It's a pet peeve of mine that too many restaurants tend to make "Tex-Mex for gringos." I want them to bring some heat! My orders always include, "Muy caliente, por favor."

Ditto. When we moved to Texas, we were shocked that it was actually difficult to get hot (note to regiregi- spicy) dishes at Mex and TexMex places. Fortunately for our home cooking, peppers grow really, really well here and the critters leave them alone, so we've had no shortage in our home cuisine.

At least at my favorite Tex-Indian place, you can still get stuff hot enough to burn you twice.