The food thread

Yes Scott of course. I have made mayonnaise, mustard and ketchup myself. We were refering to those colourful imitations you buy on the shelf.

Poutine is actually a french Canadian dish that only made it's way to this coast about 20 years ago. Not bad actually. The curds are a nice hip enlarging, artery clogging touch.

I remember when I was in high school, we used to wander over to the Big Scoop restaurant at our "study" periods and have fries with gravy and a coffee for $1.35.

Ahhh...those were the days. :)

Scott did not mention which Heinz sauce was reached for...yet you assume that it was other than chilli....tut,tut:D

This is true Brian but he did say ketchup in his last line and I do remember one of the Iron Chef's, not to mention the occasional competitor using it also so...

Hey, nothing really wrong with ketchup. I sometimes use it in a quick sauce or marinade but when you see a bottle big enough to fill one of the door shelves in a refrigerator, I begin to wonder. Same with the agent orange packet they put into the mac & cheese boxes. WTF is that stuff and why do parents think it's ok for the kids? They wouldn't dare it eat themselves...

...or would they?

Hot sauce is running low. Time for another batch.

Thai chilies
Red chili granules
Homemade seasoned salt
White vinegar
Garlic
White sugar
water
Yeast

Trim the stem but not the last part of the pepper (no idea why, just because I guess)
Add vinegar, peppers and garlic to the blender.
In a jar add the salt, sugar, red pepper granules and warm water.
Pour in blender mix and yeast starter
Leave for 4 weeks on the counter covered with a paper towel.
Run through a sieve if you like tobasco style sauce or leave as is and use as a condiment.

Attachments

• IMG_5326.jpg
    IMG_5326.jpg
    86.9 KB · Views: 88
  • IMG_5329.jpg
    IMG_5329.jpg
    82.2 KB · Views: 88
  • IMG_5330.jpg
    IMG_5330.jpg
    61.8 KB · Views: 85
And I'm Canadian rather than American. Ketchup doesn't play the same roll here. It's really just a fast food type condiment for french fries, hot dogs and hamburgers. Same with that bright yellow mustard. Real foodies know better. :)

Catsup is ambrosia to the gods. problem in Canada is the growing season is so short you can't grow decent tomatoes.

Catsup is ambrosia to the gods.
Jack, you need to get out more.
problem in Canada is the growing season is so short you can't grow decent tomatoes.
Hmmm... considering we export far more fresh field tomatoes to the US per capita than the other way round, I'm not sure I follow you. Do you guys like our inferior tomatoes? I know we do. :)

2) his inability to grow tomatoes.

Some areas of the country suffer from early and late blight and if you are not proactive, you can lose your whole crop just as they are beginning to ripen. Before I knew how to deal with it, I would sit in my garden and simply cry, then curse the gods, then swear I would never grow another tomato. If your friend has the same problem, tell him about either covering them with a poly roof and/or using copper spray. Life is good in tomato world again.

When i was a kid the two most enjoyable things in life were -- a tomato grown by my mom or grandmom, picked from the vine, cut in 1/2 and sprinkled with a tiny bit of salt -- the second most favorite thing was a ripe peach picked from my great-uncle's orchard and consumed on the spot. This all took place on the south shore of lake erie, and the growing season was just long enough to get really good tomatoes, apples and peaches. At one time, northeast ohio had thousands of green-house fruitgrowers (when natural gas was a dime an mcf).

We used to get pretty good tomatoes from the Netherlands in NJ, but seems that Chile is squeezing them out of the market.

When i was a kid the two most enjoyable things in life were -- a tomato grown by my mom or grandmom, picked from the vine, cut in 1/2 and sprinkled with a tiny bit of salt -- the second most favorite thing was a ripe peach picked from my great-uncle's orchard and consumed on the spot.

Amazing, I think of the same two things every year. My grandmother grew Italian plums because she came from Karnten Co. in Austria which had a lot of that influence (polenta was a staple). Your hands just reeked of the esters from the leaves and vines after you picked them. We ate them like apples. The peaches were wonderful until we had a deep freeze kill (this was Milwaukee after all).

Mustards' Ketchup

3 1/2 lbs tomatoes, peeled and chopped
1 to 1 1/4 lbs apples, peeled if using green, chopped
3 onions, chopped
1 1/2 c sugar
2 c cider vinegar
1 tbsp sea salt
1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
6 black peppercorns
6 allspice berries
6 cloves

Combine all ingredients in a large stainless steel pot and bring to a
boil. Reduce to a simmer and cook, uncovered, for about 2 hours, until
it is the consistency of commercial ketchup. Allow to cool slightly,
then puree in blender until very smooth. Return to heat for several
minutes to thicken further, stirring often. Strain and cool.

SY's looks like a good starting point to which you can add or take away as you wish second time around. Pears can be substituted for apples if you like and you can add carrots to the mix if you want. The last 5 ingredients seem to be the most variable ones. I have not peeled my tomatoes before, I do my puree in a food processor then strain with a pestle (or WHY) through a flour sieve.

As always, YMMV. SY is one of the better cooks on this site.

Some areas of the country suffer from early and late blight and if you are not proactive, you can lose your whole crop just as they are beginning to ripen. Before I knew how to deal with it, I would sit in my garden and simply cry, then curse the gods, then swear I would never grow another tomato. If your friend has the same problem, tell him about either covering them with a poly roof and/or using copper spray. Life is good in tomato world again.

Since last year I have grown (on my apartment balcony) Mountain Magic, which are resistant to early and late blight. The only tomatoes I have ever grown successfully, even when I had a garden and a house. The variety Mountain Magic was developed at UNC, and are salad size tomatoes. No better tomato flavor in my opinion.

As to Canadian tomatoes, they are about the only ones I'll buy when mine are not in season. Keep on sending them down!

Read the recent book Tomatoland to learn about Florida tomatoes. I'm not much of an expert, but I am a biologist by training.