The food thread

Disabled Account
Joined 2004
so ridiculously sharp my missus won't touch it.

I wouldn't either. One thing I have learned over the years is that I was born with a natural talent to hurt myself. If a bike is too fast I know it will kill me, if a blade is too sharp I know it will cut the tip of my finger off . For the same reason I don't (and never will) build amps with scary high voltages (over 350 volts) - my body seems to have developed a natural immunity against 350 volts. I get shocked often and it's no problem.

I got a Shun for my birthday last year. It's terrific. The little side scallops don't really do what they're supposed to, but the knife has a good feel in my hand and sharpens to an amazing edge. I was clean-slicing slightly overripe tomatoes with it.

Is it handed like Japansese knives? The thick blade and single edged ones you could shave with easily. BTW I thought those markings were an artifact of the Damacene process.

I bought one of these sharpener thingees for me for christmas. After being a foodie all my life I cannot believe I did this by hand all those years. Quite a difference from the old stone and steel.

canada knife|chefs choice edgeselect 120 electric knife sharpener

Yes, I have two Western and Asian style. Western ones can permanently destroy Asian knives.

Of course there's a site for those who can't spend enough time or money on it. Who would that be like :D http://www.japaneseknifesharpening.com/

Last edited:
I haven't had the pleasure of using asian style knifes. I am just glad a cleaver is seen as a western style knife 'cause that's about all I use except for a wee little paring knife that doubles as a fingernail cleaner.

Do you have the same style sharpeners and did you buy them a long time ago? I'm afraid I haven't banged my head against the wall enough yet. :)

Is it handed like Japansese knives? The thick blade and single edged ones you could shave with easily. BTW I thought those markings were an artifact of the Damacene process.

No, it's ambidextrous. The markings are Damascene, but the scalloped out portions look machined. I was using it last time you were over, but you were probably too busy chugging the Rhones. :D

I wouldn't either. One thing I have learned over the years is that I was born with a natural talent to hurt myself. If a bike is too fast I know it will kill me, if a blade is too sharp I know it will cut the tip of my finger off . For the same reason I don't (and never will) build amps with scary high voltages (over 350 volts) - my body seems to have developed a natural immunity against 350 volts. I get shocked often and it's no problem.
In fact, I have learned that not very sharp knifes use to be more dangeous for me; you have to put more effort to cut and peel things, what leads to a more fatal end if you make a mistake (and soon or later, you will!)

I haven't had the pleasure of using asian style knifes. I am just glad a cleaver is seen as a western style knife 'cause that's about all I use except for a wee little paring knife that doubles as a fingernail cleaner.

Do you have the same style sharpeners and did you buy them a long time ago? I'm afraid I haven't banged my head against the wall enough yet. :)

Yes the same ones, I love them. I still have (sob) my first 10" Wusthoff 36yr. old.

Disabled Account
Joined 2004
In fact, I have learned that not very sharp knifes use to be more dangeous for me; you have to put more effort to cut and peel things, what leads to a more fatal end if you make a mistake (and soon or later, you will!)

Always preferable to cut one's finger than to chop it off. A not very sharp knife handled by a not so sharp user won't do much damage even when extra pressure is applied. I know that because I still have all my fingers intact.

Yes. Potatoes and other tubers still stick heroically.

Yes, they're little buggers, I have no scalloped knives-but causes me little issue.

lol-I used to chef for a while so know how to hold the knife and my fingers to avoid lopping them off. Bikes I would agree-I thank my mum for not letting me near them. I've had a 240v electric shock as a child-have been very careful since!

Yes, it is handed, the blade is symetrical, but the handle is shaped for a righty.

Robotic fingers

My father was in the restaurant business so I've known a few chefs.....I seem to remember they had robotic finger tips.

Well this is the question most friends ask me when I'm making dinner for them.
The second question is mostly can you do this with your eyes closed?
Then I turn my head around and look at them (with my eyes closed) while I'm chopping parsley or cutting a Zuccini of carrot :D

I must say, it took me about 15 years to get there but it's really fun to do and most important thing "never cut my fingers" :D I still have all ten :cheers:

Audiofanatic ;)

My only serious accident in over 30yr. was sheer stupidity, prying frozen ravioli appart with a paring knife while holding them in my hand. At the emergency room several hours later they asked why I waited to come in for stitches, I had to confess that there was a zinfandel tasting that I did not want to miss. :D I have since learned that zinfandel is usually missable.

I watched an interview with Paul Bocuse on TV in 1982, right after he opened his co-owned restaurant in Orlando.
(trivia : in the beginning, Bocuse, Vergé, and Lenotre were taking weekly shift turns at the French Pavillion, flown in by Concorde from and to Paris)

After the talk, Bocuse would prepare a dish, and the guy didn't manage to peel a garlic clove.
His excuse was that he hadn't done it himself in a long time, he had people employed for that kind of labor.

The chefs i've met with unshaven fingertips at all times are the ones who do roti only, plus sit at their desk. (their sous-chefs clean the foie gras and the veal thymi, and do cut themselves at times, too expensive stuff to leave to youngsters)
Passing first base is learning to cut without the risk of slicing a fingertip off, decent chef material has that covered at 16 or younger, the ones who don't can apply at a sandwich corner.

(oh dear, i sliced about half an inch of my right fingertip clean off, including a piece of bone and without looking, with a Chinese chopping knife some ten years ago, i do really nice sandwiches though)

Last edited:
My father was in the restaurant business so I've known a few chefs.....I seem to remember they had robotic finger tips.

Note quite robotic-but I can slice while holding a conversation and looking down the kitchen to the missus or baby (she's getting lessons, has been since less than a week old-1st lesson was bageuttes). Muscle memory aids a lot in avoiding any accidents-same as those who practise chi gung or other martial arts, repeat it enough and you don't need to think about it. Otherwise it's just common sense and technique, keep your finger tips curled over and run the flat of the blade up and down the flat of your fingers between your second and third knuckles.

While chefing it was burns that were my nemesis, my hands/wrists and forarms were littered with them, most have faded away but a couple of the worse ones you can still make out.